All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moulding Fins
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I put this info in another thread, but thought I would start a new topic.

I made my own fins doing the following:

1. Pulled a fin off my current board (1.5" deep).

2. Bought some modelling clay from Michaels.

3. Put modelling clay in a container and pushed it down. Made the surface flat as possible.

4. Put cooking oil on the fin so clay wouldn't stick to it, and pushed the fin down into the clay. This makes a crude mold.

5. Poored epoxy resin into the mold and let it harden.

6. Once hardended, I pulled the new fin out of the clay, cleaned it up, and sanded. Pulling the fin out distorts the mold, so I made a new mold for each fin.

7. Then, drilled and tapped the holes for screws.

I spent $12 for the epoxy resin at Lowe's and got 6 fins with some resin left over. The fins came out slightly thinner than the original. I'll tweak this a little next time.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I've been able to get some experience with these fins that I made. I've found them to be very brittle. I've broke a couple of them now. One I broke when tapping the hole. Another broke while mounted on the board. I didn't knock the fin excessively. Probably need to add some glass cloth to the formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:15 am 
Frequent Poster

yeah, resin alone is very strong, but extremely brittle. i used a big chunk of Delrin chopping block (got mine from walmart, comes in tons of colours if you look around for it) that's about half an inch wide then cut the fins to rough shape, followed by fine shaping on the belt sander. the fins have some flex, but not enough to distort the riding in any way, perhaps the flex even does some good for the board. i'm currently using fins that are approximately 1 inch by 5 inches on my 128x40 board and they are working just fine. the fins are prone to gouges if you ride over hard objects, but they will just dent or have strips peel off which you can fix with a utility knife.

.devin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for the tip, Devin. I'll try it out.

[ 4 posts ]