*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ABS Rails - How?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:39 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 60
Hello,

I've heard allot about using ABS Rails - how is the laminate done with ABS Rails? Where do I buy them online?

I've built my first board and it turned out awesome - I'll post pictures soon once I get it painted. Thanks to all those that helped. :thumb:

When I did the rails I wrapped the bottom laminate to the top and top laminate to the bottom - does this not give the board a bit more strength and less chance for delamination instead of just butting up against the plastic rail?

Thanks guys :bye:


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:24 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:10 am
Posts: 12
anyone?


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:12 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm
Posts: 158
http://www.racingfinish.co.uk. You dont need to wrap the rails .If you want to then do. One piece rails is the way to go .


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:36 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 60
crabman wrote:
www.racingfinish.co.uk. You dont need to wrap the rails .If you want to then do. One piece rails is the way to go .


Crabman,

Is the ABS Plastic glued to the foam core? Where can I buy this online?

When you say wrap, are you saying to wrap the plastic with material when laminating the board? I'm confused here because than the edge will not have the ABS exposed...

Thanks,

Hugo


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:10 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm
Posts: 158
Hugoc ,I use one piece ABS .Make your foam shape smaller to take the ABS.When shaping the ABS leave some access so you can trim to your final shape . Dont wrap the ABS ,Any good plastic company will have it in stock . Have a look at racingfinish . Do the same in foam :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:21 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 60
crabman wrote:
Hugoc ,I use one piece ABS .Make your foam shape smaller to take the ABS.When shaping the ABS leave some access so you can trim to your final shape . Dont wrap the ABS ,Any good plastic company will have it in stock . Have a look at racingfinish . Do the same in foam :thumb:


When you laminate, do you just butt the laminate to the abs and than sand any excess once it's cured under vacuum?

For my first board I didn't use ABS and I wrapped the edes with the laminate - doesn't this make the structure of the laminate stronger than simply glueing it to the plastic - that's probably why some boards delaminate... The ABS is probably a stronger edge but I'm not convinced yet that it makes a stronger overall board.

Thanks for the advice crabman :bye:


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm
Posts: 158
When you lay up you simply lay the cloth over the core and ABS . let it cure and trim to the shape required .You need to sand the ABS to get a good bond .Overlapping is time consuming and the rails will ding .With ABS if you ding you can sand out.If you want a strong board look at your lay up schedule ,thats where its at .De lamination is normaly due to poor prep. :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 60
crabman wrote:
When you lay up you simply lay the cloth over the core and ABS . let it cure and trim to the shape required .You need to sand the ABS to get a good bond .Overlapping is time consuming and the rails will ding .With ABS if you ding you can sand out.If you want a strong board look at your lay up schedule ,thats where its at .De lamination is normaly due to poor prep. :thumb:


Once again good stuff - thanks :bye:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group