Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
getnlifted
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The fins

Postby getnlifted » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:37 am

I think you should put fins on the board while learnig to kite. It will help you from doing the dreded kite slip to but plant.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby bay surfer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:37 pm

On the paint subject, I find spar Poly is not needed, you dont leave your boards out in the weather 24/7 so UV damage is zill, all polys are water proof, with the exeption of water base polys. Bottom line with any finish is at least 6 coats. With fast dry Polys you can put 7 coats easy in 2 days.

If using epoxy a protection coat of poly should be used over the epoxy for UV protection, The epoxy must be washed with soap and water very very well, then sanded lightly well, then polyed, If you dont wash the emines off the epoxy surface, the Emines will change the chemical complixes in the poly, and the poly will NEVER dry.

With a colored surface, a simple method is to have your local hardware/paint store ad a small amount of color to your fast dry poly, works great. Cost 10$ instead of 30+$ for marine polypaint, and you can have any color under the rainbow.

Plastic Coat paint works great for edges for a sacraficial layer, super shiny,use a brush, thick, drys to the touch in 30mins.

No matter what you use 2 days minimum

Return to “Gear Builders”