Postby crabman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:39 am

Styrofoam

gobigkahuna
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gobigkahuna » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:40 pm

laz wrote:are there any foams that i can buy at a store or order to be delivered at a store that arnt insanely expensive i live a half hour north of chicago.
There's got to be a fiberglass and foam supplier someplace in Chicago. West Marine sells fiberglass and epoxy (although it ain't cheap there, see if you can get a "Port Supply" account or find someone who already has one). PVC foam, glass and epoxy is the way to go. You can use an old compressor from a refrigerator as a vacuum pump, or buy a vacuum pump used (I got one from an auto airconditioning repair shop for $30). It doesn't cost that much more to build a board from the right materials. Just takes a bit more time and more skill.

Can't beat ply for super cheap / super easy though. Years ago there was a site that showed how a guy built a light board using 1/8" ply door skins (top and bottom) and 1" styro foam insulation core. He glued the skins to the foam then wrapped the rail with fiberglass tape. My guess is he got -maybe- one season from that board, but it looked cheap and easy to do.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

yes you can

Postby blowhard » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:31 pm

pvc foam is ver easy to shape and holds up well ,I buy al myy supplies at fiber glas supply in Bingen wa.
He is my pal with the first board I sold
Attachments
norm.JPG
norm.JPG (76.78 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

yes you can

Postby blowhard » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:32 pm

pvc foam is ver easy to shape and holds up well ,I buy al myy supplies at fiber glas supply in Bingen wa.
He is my pal with the first board I sold

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Hi guys; I've been building foam-fiberglass boards for years; surfboards, sailboards, and now kiteboards. For my kiteboards I strip and reshape used surf and sailboards. They are relitively easy to find and always for free. These boards are very light and delicate and fairly easy to build. Just like making a regular foam surfboard. They can be made stronger by adding more fiberglass laminations. I build this way because I'm comfortable with the process and it allows for greater flexibility with bottom shapes, outlines and rocker. But for the most simple build, plywood is the way to go. These multiple layered foam,carbon,wood,vinyl sandwiches that are vaccum bagged are for the experts. Some knowlege and experience in resin/vaccum bag construction as well as a pretty nice shop and some specialty tools are required. But these boards are the strongest and most durable that can be made. I applaud those of you who build this way. It is not easy!!!

Return to “Gear Builders”