Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

mini-Tuttle fin boxes

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

mini-Tuttle fin boxes

Postby liv2surf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:46 pm

A major kite & board manufacturer says that on their surfboard the mini-tuttle fins break out easily and leave the boxes and board intact. That just does not seem right to me. Is it ?

Seems to me (Note I am not a board builder or expert) that FCS would break out much more easily without ripping the boxes out. Perhaps there are others that are more appropriate, too.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: mini-Tuttle fin boxes

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:49 am

The MT box is a very robust box. A large surface area anchored into the board. A large anchor on the fins too. A single large screw holding the fin in to make for a solid assembly. But the fin assortment is limited. My last set came from NSP.

I never broke a MT fin box but I have broken plenty of fins. They shear even to the bottom of the board at the fin base. I think I would have lost many more if it were not for this solid assembly. I think it allows the fin to take on some good impacts while not losing the fin or ripping the box out of the board.

That said, I surf fresh water and prefer the the ride from the cheaper, softer plastic fins. The ride was too stiff /tight with the stiffer fins that I have tried. I think the cheaper plastic fin may work a little better with this box as the flex is more in the fins design and not so much at the base of the fin. The FCS system for example have a very tiny base which allows more flex under load at the base so rides better with stiffer fins (just a theory :roll: ).

Return to “Gear Builders”