Jaco
Frequent Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Surf Fins on a twin tip

Postby Jaco » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:32 am

hey...im thinkin about building a really cheap, highwind board. I was thinking about mounting two surf-style fins. (one near each tip, centered in the middle) Is this going to sacrifice anything? edging, pop?

thanks!

Halomon
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Halomon » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:58 pm

HOWZIT JACO; AS TO YOUR QUESTIONS; HARD TO SAY WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT OTHER ELEMENTS ARE GOING INTO THE BOARD IE, SHAPE, LENGTH ETC. SOME OF THE OTHER BUILDERS ON THIS FORUM ARE MAKING SINGLE FIN BOARDS. THEY MIGHT CHIME IN ON THIS TOPIC. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE AIMING FOR A SINGLEFIN TWINTIP. INTERESTING CONCEPT. SHOULD WORK IF THE FINS DON'T CATCH. SO YOU WOULD MAYBE HAVE TO PULL THE TAIL OUTLINE IN A LITTLE FROM THE USUAL TWINTIP OUTLINE. THINK A SINGLE FIN AIRUSH "HAMMER" OUTLINE; OR A ROUNDED PIN. ANY WAY , KEEP US UP TO DATE ON YOUR PROGRESS!!!

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

yup

Postby blowhard » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:04 pm

My Wavescoot is a single fin on one end with 6 inches of pintail behind it ,
after making a couple of these I started cutting off the pintail when it got to an inch behind the fin it started to washout and not hold ,,.
The shorter the pintail the easier to turn and had less upwind ablity ,with the longer pintail it was hard to turn quickly but was super fast and lots of traction for light wind and upwind .
My current project is using the pintail(single)4.5" for going to windward and 4 fins(quad) for down the line
:bye:

Return to “Gear Builders”