Has anyone made a woody OR Mako?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Has anyone made a woody OR Mako?

Postby ed257 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:59 am

Has anyone made a woody version of the much loved Ocean Rodeo Mako?

I am thinking of doing it, but would like to learn from anyone else's experience who has already made one.

Thanks,

Ed

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:48 pm

I was thinking of doing that too.

Concerned the wood will not bend under vacuum to the 18mm concave. Or it will crack. Have to make the core really thin, or do it in several layers like 3+3mm or 2+2+2mm

What kind of wood core would u use? I suppose i could source some veneers, but hard to find in small quantity. Cool would be a softer wood sandwiched between some hardwood. Doing some contrasting inlays would make it art.

Warming up to this now.

How about a core layup:
Mahogany veneer 2mm
Balsa -longitudinal-pieced together from smaller pieces (hard to get big pieces) tapered core from 5mm to 2mm at tips and edges.
Mahogany veneer 2mm

Put in all on a convex form with rocker and bagit.

Clean it up and then bag it with glass laminates.

other ideas?

TW

windnut
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windnut » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:03 pm

A friend and I have made many lnogboards over the years. He has put severe 20mm concave into 1/2" maple dadoed into a toothed profile (running lengthwise down the length of the board), leaving the wood 1/8" thick over about a 1/2"between chunks. he glues it up with a 1/8" maple skin covering the dadoed surface to produce a super stiff lightweight board, 1/2 air inside! No cracks (untill too much thrashing and inadequate material around the truck mounts)

You could do something similar with one thick ply dadoed (notched lengthwise) to be bendable, with a thinner skin ply glued to itduring the lay up

A huge plus is the wonderful pattern you get when you shape the end of the board (picture grinning teeth :)

I don't know...Food for thought
Attachments
dado profile.jpg
dado profile.jpg (80.56 KiB) Viewed 2323 times

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:30 pm

You can use 2.5mm ply, Hell they give the stuff away at Home Depot, Its packaging materal for thier high end plywoood stacks.
with 4 laminations of ply you should be able to tork the wood any which way much more than 18mm. Also with 4 lamination of 2.5 mm 3ply the board will be a stiffy with 12 plys, plus you have a added bonus with more lams of less spring back, so on the table ye'll only have to have a 22m concave to get that 18mm finished concave.
You may have problems vacuum bagging 10mm of wood together, I would screw it together on a table, then vacuum any fiberglass on after if you want it.

Return to “Gear Builders”