Another repair question

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Noo Noo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Another repair question

Postby Noo Noo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:56 am

I need to repair my board which looks simple enough but I could do with a little material advice.

The damage is straight forward. A 75mm section of the rail has basically fallen out at the tip of the board! :cry: The laminate has slight debonded either side of teh damage area too but is not damaged.

I plan to rebond the laminate to the rail either side of the hole with resin. Its easy to clamp. Then keeping the clamps and evrything in place I'll reform the rail by using a resin / filler mix with some pigment to match everything either side.

I'm just not sure what would be the best filler. I've got some chopped strand and some Microdol H600 which I can use. Any preferences / advice?

Thanks

XSwind
Medium Poster

Re: Another repair question

Postby XSwind » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:23 am

Noo Noo wrote:I need to repair my board which looks simple enough but I could do with a little material advice.

The damage is straight forward. A 75mm section of the rail has basically fallen out at the tip of the board! :cry: The laminate has slight debonded either side of teh damage area too but is not damaged.

I plan to rebond the laminate to the rail either side of the hole with resin. Its easy to clamp. Then keeping the clamps and evrything in place I'll reform the rail by using a resin / filler mix with some pigment to match everything either side.

I'm just not sure what would be the best filler. I've got some chopped strand and some Microdol H600 which I can use. Any preferences / advice?

Thanks
Without a pic this is what I would recomend.

Firstly only use Epoxy resin, and use "micro Fibres" as the filler.
If you can try to scuff up the underside of the laminates with some sandpaper to ensure a good bonding surface.

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Re: Another repair question

Postby Noo Noo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:40 am

thanks for that. :thumb:

I meant epoxy but big thanks for the tip on sanding the laminate and adding microfibres. I'll try and get a pic or two.

Return to “Gear Builders”