Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board ABS rails

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
aeberl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Board ABS rails

Postby aeberl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Since ABS, PVC and GRP has different mudulii, there is a risk of delamination under bending.
I use full epoxy rails with some S-glass rowing in it as rail reinforcement. Works great and never came appart so far.

nonce
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Globekites
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby nonce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 pm

Epoxy alone must be too brittle, I think that some plastificators must be added.
And one more thing, if your epoxy rails are fully cured and than laminated it is still 2 different layers with diferent physical features.

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:12 pm

I pour the epoxy rail with galss rowing, so there is a reduced risk of crack propagation. I have tried just about every resin there is on the market and am working with a resin that is commonly being used as electric motor winding insulation for submarine applications. With it I have reached better tear off forces beween cured layers, it is easier to sand and I can maipulate curing temps and viscocities much better. It also behaves much better when subject to heat (board being baked in the car)
I really put each of my boards to the test and have neve managed to delaminate my construction with this resin. It is however slightly more expensive (about 12% more than the commonly available marine epoxies)

pipodayo
Rare Poster

Postby pipodayo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi guys!
Do you know where to find some color ABS sheets on-line ?
thanks !

fkb
Medium Poster

Postby fkb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:05 pm

Did you flame treat the ABS to get the epoxy to stick? I understand it'll just peel away unless flame treated or otherwise roughed up. Not sure if sanding alone is enough.

Return to “Gear Builders”