All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rails for strip built core?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 pm 
Rare Poster

So this is a continuation of my previous post about strip built cores. What should I use for rails? Wrapped glass? ABS/PVC? Just seal the wood core with epoxy and poly and use the wood core as the rail? Probably using one layer of 6 oz top and bottom with a finish layer of 1.5 oz on top and bottom. Core will be some combo of cedar, ash, and spruce. Planning on hand layup and shaping the core rocker and concave on a "strongback" like a a strip built boat, and then glassing. Thanks.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Rails for strip built core?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

just free lap the cloth used to lam the top and bottom.
lam the bottom, overlap the sides, cut off excess with a razor while green
sand when cured.
lam the top, overlap the edges again, cut off overlap excess while green with razor.
sand when cured.

I'm still voting for no glass until you detemine how stiff your core is.

dont use 6oz tape.
the knit edges are too thick and it will be a pain to sand smooth. not to mention that you will have 2 edges to smooth instead of just one.

some careful use of masking tape will make some of the more difficult areas manageable

-bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Bill,

Thanks for the response. That was the way I was leaning for the rails. I think you're right, get the core built and then assess the need for glass. It will be a little while before I get this project rolling but I'll keep you posted when I get into it somemore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

one thing that does spring to mind:

if you lay up your board similar to a strip-built boat.

you will find that shaping the joining edges with matching cove and bead will help to maintain the desired bottom concave. But i doubt it will do anything to hold the rocker shape. i suspect all of the rocker will go away once the core is removed from your frame (rocker table for the rest of us).

if so , you may wish to
consider steaming the core,
laminate the core with 2 thin layers of wood. (top to bottom)
or ....glass as you originally intended to maintain rocker.

you win :)

but unless you'd like your board to be very stiff, (which is not so terrible) less glass and/or less core may be needed.
just a thought ,
-bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:56 pm 
Rare Poster

Never consideret steaming the wood and have no real need for it. Rails are there just to seal the core from water and to easy tape top and bottom cloath 2gather.

stiff materials for rails are for foam core boards. My idea which I latter erased as unneedet was to go with usual pvc rails. Alweys found it easyer to shape with hands. You cun super presice cut 1 day old cloath off and watch as the acces cloath (left owers you didn't care to cut) get stiff (epoxy is completely cured).

For directional you can glue thicker PVC rails on any fome and than make nice round (as you like) rails. You wont open up cloath and PVC while grinding. Also I find whitte2wood contrast ok.

Still going with no rails on mine and still waiting 4 Wend.

[ 5 posts ]