Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
kiteguy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

whats better 1/4 in or 1/2 in

Postby kiteguy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:21 am

is it better to use 2 pieces of 1/4 in. birch ply epoxyed together or 1 1/2 in. birch ply with 5 or 6 cotes of varnish? why do most people use 2 1/4 in.? is it stronger?

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:39 pm

We use two pieces of 1/4 in ply because we are using a table to fix shape into the board. You can build into your board rocker and concave, plus you can sandwich fiberglass between the two pieces of ply with relative ease.
Plus it is stronger, much stronger especially if the board has concave.

A table is easy to make, may only take a hour to make. You will be able to make multiple board with it.
Use Screws, clamps, or wieghts to hold the pieces together during layup, I prefer Drywall screws and fill the holes in after with floor and epoxy, If your using clamps you need to clamp every 15cm or so, thats alot of clamps.
The actual main constuction time for putting the two pieces together is about 15 to 20 mins, this is the working time of the epoxy.

kiteguy
Medium Poster

Postby kiteguy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:39 pm

so if i'm not going to have a rocker or concave because my board will be a light wind board 138 cm. x 47 cm, then i'm ok with 1/2 in. ply? just trying to keep my budget really low. i'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. good size for light wind?

mx5alan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mx5alan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:07 pm

kiteguy wrote:so if i'm not going to have a rocker or concave because my board will be a light wind board 138 cm. x 47 cm, then i'm ok with 1/2 in. ply? just trying to keep my budget really low. i'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. good size for light wind?
138 x 47 - yes good size

I guess you already know this ? - cut the board with the grain travelling along the length of the board not across it.

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!

Re: whats better 1/4 in or 1/2 in

Postby peligro18 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:36 am

We use two pieces of 1/4 in ply because we are using a table to fix shape into the board. You can build into your board rocker and concave, plus you can sandwich fiberglass between the two pieces of ply with relative ease.
Plus it is stronger, much stronger especially if the board has concave.
bay surfer
could you tell me how do you add the fiberglass?
i am still researching about what i am going to do... i have the design in my mind but i want to make it strong ...i already know that i want 2 6mm plywood ...but that fiberglass thing you say in this last post got me thinking...how do i do that if i want to make oit stronger?

please explain the procedure :jump:

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 am

Sandwich is easy coat the 2 pieces with epoxy lay your glass down on the wet/slankin epoxy, put the pieces together, clamp middle to the outside to get the air out.
Glass is really not needed though, wood soaks epoxy up, wood fibers are kind of like glass really, thats why 2 pieces of ply epoxyed together are stronger than just one big piece of ply
I do use strips of glass in between (Stringers) to change how the board flexes. For that I use fiberglass drywall tape. It sticks to the wood, wet the ply and tape at one time.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Re:

Postby zob » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 am

kiteguy wrote:so if i'm not going to have a rocker or concave because my board will be a light wind board
What? No rocker? I would do some rocker even if it's a lightwind board!

BR,
Zob

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 am

You can get a way without rocker, but the board will be a lot nicer with it. If you use two 1/4 sheets, you can also leave the edges one layer and make the center two layers. I think about 10 inches at the tip one layer should be fine. I made a board from one sheet (1/2), routed it thin at the edges, and then bent with pressure and water. That’s a lot of work. With 1/4 sheets you can have flex tip without the routing.

Return to “Gear Builders”