Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade III 12m, Cabrinha Contra 14m, Cabrinha Contra 17m
Naish Haze 2008 135x44, Custom Carbon board 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New member. New plyboard and questions for fisheye effect

Postby dimitrisGramma » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 am

First I wish to say hello to everyone! Hey guys, this is a great place. I found here information that would probably take me weeks of searching on the Web. Just great !!!
First of all I wish to state that I am very new in kiteboard building and even newer in kitesurfing. As a matter of fact I have build my first board but haven't actually tested it since I dont know yet how to kitesurf !
So, here is the first board
HPIM1260.JPG
Here is the complete story... http://diykiteboard.blogspot.com/
As you can see I had this fish eye problem with the epoxy. I have sanded it and now I wonder if its better to apply an epoxy or a polyurethane layer.
What do you think?

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New member. New plyboard and questions for fisheye effect

Postby jaros » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Hi,
I am not sure why you used the teak oil to pigment the board. Wood breathing is something that will not happen anymore when you close the wood with epoxy, and the use of oil of any kind is like asking for truble, imho. Well now it is what it is. I guess if you send the surface a little and cover it again with epoxy or urethane it will be ok.
Greetings,
Jaros

peligro18
Medium Poster
Local Beach: i just bought it!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby peligro18 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 pm

jaros wrote:Hi,
I am not sure why you used the teak oil to pigment the board. Wood breathing is something that will not happen anymore when you close the wood with epoxy, and the use of oil of any kind is like asking for truble, imho. Well now it is what it is. I guess if you send the surface a little and cover it again with epoxy or urethane it will be ok.
Greetings,
Jaros
what would you do then? instead of doin the epoxy thing...for the wood to breath

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi,
I see no point of letting the wood to breath in a kiteboard. Cowering the wood with epoxy is the right step. The question you should ask is - how will you color the core? You should use some kind of pigment that goes into the wood and dries out compleatlly. The cabinetmakers use it to give the wood some pigment. That is if you want to see the structure of the wood and do not want to cover it in color.
There is wood in many production boards, many snowboards and it is sealed compleatlly. Let the wood bread in your furniture, on your parquet floor or on your ship teak floor, but for the board use the epoxy and dont mind the brathing.
Greetings,
Jaros

Return to “Gear Builders”