vegasrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: new to the sport and building

Postby vegasrider » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Also thought about building during wintertime... could you give some more detailed info on the steps you did ?

wavebreaker
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wavebreaker » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Laughingman,
I routed the grove in the board to cast my epoxy/flox into.The exterior of the Blue/epoxy is the outside profile of the board. Once the board comes off the vacuum table i cut away the excess cedar from around the blue epoxy.
The purpose of the epoxy/flow is it will become my rails,i did not like the idea of using abs for my rails i prefer something that i think is more compatible with my overall build up. Though people use abs for rails with great success.
I built my edge this way so that when the board went into the vacuum i would get a nice flat bond to the rails. no chance of the cloth not laying completely flat on the rails .

the 2 previous pictures posted to the vacuum table shots show top and bottom of board the blue/epoxy is exposed only the excess cedar is left around the outside of the board.
On the vacuum table you can not see the blue because of t he breather material on top of board under plastic.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks for the explanation Wavebreaker!
So you did in fact sand the board on both top and bottom enough to expose the expoxy/flox rail, so that the cedar does not come to the outside edge of the rail? If so, what would you use to sand that amount of wood away? Belt sander or planer comes to mind but....

wavebreaker wrote:Laughingman,
I routed the grove in the board to cast my epoxy/flox into.The exterior of the Blue/epoxy is the outside profile of the board. Once the board comes off the vacuum table i cut away the excess cedar from around the blue epoxy.
The purpose of the epoxy/flow is it will become my rails,i did not like the idea of using abs for my rails i prefer something that i think is more compatible with my overall build up. Though people use abs for rails with great success.
I built my edge this way so that when the board went into the vacuum i would get a nice flat bond to the rails. no chance of the cloth not laying completely flat on the rails .

the 2 previous pictures posted to the vacuum table shots show top and bottom of board the blue/epoxy is exposed only the excess cedar is left around the outside of the board.
On the vacuum table you can not see the blue because of t he breather material on top of board under plastic.

wavebreaker
Rare Poster

Postby wavebreaker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 am

Vegasrider,
Basically the steps as follows.
made pattern of the board I wanted, cut it 3/4 of an inch smaller all around, this is for routing the edge grove for my epoxy/flox edge.
(2) cut and glued my cedar strips together using a basic yellow carpenters glue, strips were cut 2 mm thicker than what i wanted finished in the center.

(3) hand planed and sanded one side of the blank to give me a working flat surface.
(4) used double sided tape to hold pattern on blank to route grove for epoxy/flox. I cut the grove almost completely through the board about 2mm short of the bottom side.
(5)did my layout for fin placement straps and handles.
(6) cast epoxy rails and epoxy in inserts and fill areas for fins.
(7) Using a template I made for my router to cut my top curve, I routed the top of the board to finished profile 11mm at center tapering in gentle curve to 3 mm at edge.
(8) sanded board down top and bottom, applied glass cloth and epoxy to board set in vacuum table/rocker table.
That’s basically where it is at now I will leave it in there for a couple days to let epoxy set up so I don’t lose to much rocker due to spring back.

Hope it helps.

wavebreaker
Rare Poster

Postby wavebreaker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 am

Laughingman,

When i cast the rail i did so from the bottom up.so it was exposed on the bottom at first.
I flipped the board over and with the use of a profile jig i made for my router, cut the top profile of the board.
11mm at center tapering in a gentle curve to 3mm at edge.
I will take a picture of the jig on my building table later and post it.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 am

Dude! Your awesome for sharing!
Things are falling into place for me now, I think I have the basics but when you question what you think you know, it is so hard to get started. What you have explained below makes total sense to me, I would love to see how the jig you built, it will pull all the pieces together for me. Looking forward to the next set of pics and thanks again for your patience and time.

Sincerely

Pete

wavebreaker wrote:Laughingman,

When i cast the rail i did so from the bottom up.so it was exposed on the bottom at first.
I flipped the board over and with the use of a profile jig i made for my router, cut the top profile of the board.
11mm at center tapering in a gentle curve to 3mm at edge.
I will take a picture of the jig on my building table later and post it.

wavebreaker
Rare Poster

Postby wavebreaker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am

Laughingman
Heres some shots of the jig i use, pretty basic it slides up and down the length of the table.
Fixed curve made for this particular board.

also picture of the board. ready to final sand add my color scheme.
15.JPG
15.JPG (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
16.JPG
16.JPG (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
14.JPG
14.JPG (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:30 am

Okay, now I am in your movie... I like how you have incorporated the use of a router into this, we have a 4 x 10 router table at work I could probably have it do most of the work. It has a camera on it so I can move the the slab to do the epoxy and flox and then just throw it back on to finish the shaping. I'm not sure if I can program it to do the curve but linear I certainly can, I may have some sanding to do afterward to smooth out the shape.

How much spring back can you expect when you remove the board from the vacuum, I noticed you had quite a lot of rocker on the table, it would help to know what rocker you were trying to achieve and how much extra rocker you added to achieve it.

Thanks again for your time and help... now that I understand the easy parts, I need to figure out the hard part... glassing, and vacuum table.... ugh

Sincerely

Pete

wavebreaker
Rare Poster

Postby wavebreaker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 am

Hi again Laughingman.

I figured i would lose some where around 25-30% of the rocker doing it the way i did.
I was not to far off i lost around 30%
Started at 4cm ended at 2.5 or so.
4-30%=2.8 so pretty close.

it is a lite wind board so i did not need alot of rocker to it.
Also my rocker is a 3 stage
center is flat with 1.5cm of concave.

glassing and vacuum table are easy.

:lol:

JandoF
Medium Poster

Postby JandoF » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 am

Once again IMPRESIVE job here!
wavebreaker wrote:
glassing and vacuum table are easy.

:lol:
haha for you of course :D do you have any good link were I can learn about VACUUM techniques :thumb:

Return to “Gear Builders”