First post and first step into my first board building! I have read a lot of forum and site about making a plywood board and as I lost my board and I am broke, I am going to jump into the process to build one! but I want to confirm I have the step right!
- Between beginner and intermediate rider (just start jumping few days ago)
- Not much knowledge in wood work even so I did a bit when I was young
- Going to borrow the tools
- I am about 1.85m and 65kg
- I hate non metric system because I am lost!
first of all, about the board I am looking for:
- Cheap, I am broke!
- Good in 20+ knot / 9m kite powered
- 2* 1/4 plywood for a small rocker (would like around 1.5cm)
- No concave
- about 136x30 (not really sure I forgot the witdh of my board!)
- would like it to be light (I am thinking of removing some wood of the top sheet for that)
- simple finition to see the wood.
- Straps, handle, fins
- Need to stay in one piece for 2 months, as after the winter I am moving out and wont take the board (so I will make a second one on my new destination!
- Simple enough to make so I can learn and don't do lot of mistake!
about the steps from what I understood:
- Trace the board on the wood
- consolidate the holes for fins, insert etc... with epoxy.
- Cut the board shape
- Glue the sheet together with epoxy and set the rocker (how much rocker should I put to have a final one of about 1.5cm?
- Leave for about a day or two
- shape the edge of the board (any angle idea? or link on what it change?)
- should I put fiber glass? I don't think I need to but I am confuse on it!
- coat the board with epoxy or boat coat or resine? (which one is the easiest to apply and require the less tools!)
- Make holes for fins (where should I put the fins, I want some because of the lull and I do some some riding with the board flat sometimes!)
- Put straps and fins
- Go riding and try not to break or loose it!
I appreciate any comments / links / answer to the questions!