grisen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New carbon board

Postby grisen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi,

I have just finish my second carbon building project. Unfortnatly I haven't really tested yet, because last time I was surfing the waves were to big for me trying a new board, so I sticked to an old well know board. The overall dimension of this new board is 140x42cm, a flat-medium rocker and medium curved outline, just an everyday board. The weight of the board without straps, pads and fins is 1,8kg, so thats fine. I have shaped with pretty flexible tips, starting outside the straps, and a more stiff body section between the straps. Now I have a light wind TT, an everyday TT, and the next I'm going to build is a wave TT, with much more rocker, and much more rounded tips, smooth smooth rails.

Kind regards from Denmark
Lars
Compared with my light wind tt

Kraimer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Freeride
Gear: 15m 04 Fuel, 13M Diesel, 9M Diesel

Re: New carbon board

Postby Kraimer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:38 pm

NIce Board! Does the Carbon allow the board to flex at all?

grisen
Rare Poster

Postby grisen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:27 pm

I have to be honest, it is not 100% carbon. It is glass fiber / carbon fiber combination. But you can make a carbon board as flexible as you want, it is just question regarding the thickness of the core. The current board has a pretty stiff center body with flexibel tips. I have had some problems with this board, as it wanted to make spin out all the time if I wasn't very careful how place pressure on the back foot. But after changing the outline, the rails and added some extra rocker it has turned into a really nice board, and still bloody fast

ciao
Lars

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:58 am

your board looks awsome u are doing great i would like to give u a few things i do with boards i hope they are of use to u first on a twintip wave board one and one quarter inch rocker is all u need any more will begin to lose low wind performance but for a realy killer wave TT make the bottom quarter inch CONVEX bottom this makes the board want to rol from one side to another which is a must in wave riding and it greatly smoothes out the overall ride most of the new boards are going this way but they do it with a spine in the middle either works great. hope this is of value keep riding your own creations for other ideas look at wainman JOKE

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 am

Hi, I’m not a board builder but am a keen Kiteboarder. I went on a resent health & safety course, they spoke about Carbon fibre, and according to them Carbon fibre is the new Asbestos. Obviously it will be years down the line before people see the full effects of inhaling Carbon Fibre dust but I am sure a lot of people have been using this stuff totally unaware of its damage to health. Sorry guys, didn’t want to hack into the thread, just saw the heading and thought I’d chip in. Great looking board by the way :thumb:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Well, yes, you need to wear a mask and clean up if you sand into carbon.
Not that fiberglass is good for your lungs either....
Fortunately building kiteboards involves very little sanding into the fiber layers, unless you screw something up. The the fibers stay safely embedded in epoxy.

Return to “Gear Builders”