Local Beach: The gorge is 4 hours away
Favorite Beaches: The Gorge
Style: Newbie still
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How much glass??

Postby alancFS13 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 pm

I've been reading a ton of posts and can't exactly figure out how much fiberglass people use compared to the type of core and the thickness of the core.

I want to make a board similar to a spleene session in shape and thickness. My initial idea before finding this forum was to use two pieces of 1/8 inch marine plywood. 1 fullsize and one slightly smaller, 1 - 2 inches all around. I was figuring on 10 layers on 6oz fiberglass on each side, that would be about 1/16 inches. I knew that would probably be a bit overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I've read some posts on here that seem to say you only need 2-3 layers of 6oz glass. Again I am not entirely sure which is why I am asking. I would like to know what others do to get a better idea. I want to be able to jump on the board and know with great confidence it's not going to break when I land.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How much glass??

Postby gbleck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 am

With 60 oz of glass on each side on 1/4 core your don't have to wory about breaking the board because your board will be so heavy it rips your legs off when you try and jump. 18oz is probly a good starting point. Try that and then add more if you like less flex.

Return to “Gear Builders”