My prototype board Camou had great shape to give it great driving characteristics, but because of bad material selection it had cracked on top after 10 short sessions.
I made a replica, adding an epoxy rail, reducing thickness at the tips, to get flex zones and the most important changing the upper core material (80% wood).
Unfortunately this new board was stollen after 1 hour on the watter. It was hard investing many hours of labour, days of ichy skin and some € too.
However the resaults of mentioned modifications where so good, that I imediately choped the original Camou board to make v2.1.
Cracks on the surface
Cracked XPS core
This is how the renovation went:
I peeled of the top composite and XPS core. So I was left with bottom core (2X 2,5mm ply) and the bottom glass laminat.
I milled the top ply from 30 to 50 mm around and from the bottom ply 10+ mm, leaving only bottom laminat and around the edge, so I could pour epoxy rails without a mould. I also moved the fin holes thoward the center of the board.
The new upper core has ply top, with ply stripes (30 mm) aroud the edge and several times in the middle (20 mm) in both directions, tog get strong wood to wood bond. Between, there's stil some XPS foam, but only as a filler.
I added some printed graphics to greet the next person, who decides to steal the board.
It has that good old plyboard TT look
<ALL THE PICTURES>