Kancler
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

rocker table (some questions)

Postby Kancler » Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 am

Hi, i'm new in here
all time i wanted to build my own board, so after tons of reading i decided to start :D
so right now i'm in the middle of finishing rocker table, but i need advice on studs length, basically i'm wondering, how much western red cedar springs (not sure if its right word) back after vacuum bagging
i know looks ugly and cheap :D but frame is strong
studs will be every 10 cm (4,08")
Length of working plane will be about 175 cm (71.4")
width will be 70-75 cm (28.5-30.6)
base gone be mdf plate(10mm i hope its not overkill and it will bend and not crack) , on top of it i'm gone put plexiglas (5 mm), i'm doing adjustable rocker thru plexiglas
Attachments
IMAG0024.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0016.jpg
IMAG0015.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
rsz_imag0007.jpg

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Re: rocker table (some questions)

Postby foam-n-fibre » Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry, I have no idea how much the wood core will spring back. You might want to stiffen your rocker table base a bit more if you have to bend a stiff core, maybe by putting some extra lumber on edge. It might be that the core rebound is uncertain enough that the slight bedning of the base will be a non-issue, but I think most guys have a stiffer base. Also, it could warp on its own if you are unlucky.

Peter

Kancler
Rare Poster

Postby Kancler » Tue May 17, 2011 8:31 am

after little chat with Vol, i decided to stick to my first plan, 18-20 cm (7,3-8,1 inch) length studs (i have 1 m (39,37 inch) length studs, so i have to cut them), Vol told what he gets about 1 cm spring back in his press

Kancler
Rare Poster

Postby Kancler » Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

didn't have much time, but yesterday spend half day, installed all studs, got Plexiglas, and did main sheet of rocker table, but faced problem, bad quality (it was layng in my garage more then 5 years, i did expected something like that), after i started bending mdf it started to crack, so basically i spend half day for nothing :( and left with frame with stud in it :D that good news, another good news, frame didn't "play" then i was bending sheet of mdf
ill have to order new peace of mdf and start all over again, i was using http://www.techneta.lt/senas/images/kilpa_sraigtas.gif to attach mdf to stud, but feels like its to fragile to handle the pressure of bend mdf, ill have to think new strategy, maybe simple holes in mdf ? but i do not like the idea of mdf angle and screw, any advice in here ?
Attachments
IMAG0044.jpg

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

My woodies spring back about 1.5mm (127cm) - sometimes 2mm (134cm)

Return to “Gear Builders”