Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twin Tip design tool progressing....

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattma
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Reef in Sydney Australia
Favorite Beaches: Old Bar on Central Coast NSW. The most perfect freestyle lagoon with worldclass waves over the dunes!!
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 9m Fuel and 12 m RPM. 132x41 CrazyFly Raptor+ homebuilt board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Twin Tip design tool progressing....

Postby mattma » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am

I haven't had much chance recently to try out some of the new board ideas I've been hearing about but I have managed to progress the twin tip design tool that I started work on a few months back. So, I wanted to share a sample of the types of plans that its now turning out.

I've attached a copy of a 2 layered deck that I am going to work on some time soon. Its a pdf thats on a 1:1 scale so you'll need to zoom out to see it all.

The tool (called 'Board-off') is build in MS Excel 2007 and lets you create and save your designs as reusable templates, print them on letter/a4 printer or export them as .dxf files that can be imported into any CAD program or viewer.

There are parameters for seting the location of fin and footpad inserts. It also lets you create the jigs that you need for setting the rocker and concave (these also can be saved as templates and printed and exported as dxf files). If you're using an adjustable table its a simple matter to look up the adjustor heights you need to set to do the same thing as the cut out jigs.

There is an analysis part that attempts calculate weight, flex profile and stresse in the board. These are WIP's and I'm still working through how to make best use of them in designing boards - they have been useful in helping quantify the impact of trading off different pairs of design parameters though the absolute values it turns out (stresses, actual deflection etc) can't take account of variances to actual material values and construction techniqwues.

I'm working on an xml import export function so that its easy to share your designs with other users without having to send the whole workbook. The goal is to start building up a library of peoples designs with feedback from them on what worked and what didnt

Anyhow, you can download the latest copy of board-off from
http://myvirtualshed.blogspot.com/.

THere are already a few great projects underway (Argentina, Western Australia, Canada) that have used Board Off so if you find it useful please post up a comment a the above link and share your ideas.

Cheers
Matt
Attachments
Board3.pdf
(76.08 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Twin Tip design tool progressing....

Postby gbleck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Stethoscope for leek detection in the v-bag. Great idea. I think I have an extra one around the office someplace.

Return to “Gear Builders”