Style: Wake
Gear: Takoon Pure 12m 2010
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help to repair board damaged in transport

Postby joaomac7 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Hello people

I buy one new board but when i receive it, i saw a damage in the board.

I need your help because they will not replace the board....so i need to repair it.

PHOTOS:

https://picasaweb.google.com/joaomac7/B ... directlink

How i will resolve this problem? can anyone help?

best regards
Joao M

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Re: HELP TO REPAIR BOARD DAMAGED IN TRANSPORT

Postby Nico » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 am

Send it to me and I will repair it.
Nico

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:54 am

Joao,

Sorry to see the damage to your new board. It's fairly clear that it was packaged poorly and/or handled badly by the shipping company. Assuming that the shipper was arranged by the seller your recourse should be thru the seller. If you agreed to buy something that they will ship to you then your "implied contract" gives you every right to receive the goods undamaged and the seller has given you a reliance to get it to you in good condition by taking payment.

How did you pay for the board? If you used a credit card or Paypal you can make a complaint and they will probably get your money back.

The fact that the board was damaged is bad enough, but the other sad part of this story is that the seller and/or the shipper are refusing to take responsibilty for their deficiencies.

If you end up having to keep the board you might be able to repair it if you have access to some good materials. It's hard to tell if the damage went into the core, so I'll assume it has and that would be the biggest concern. Some cores are better when exposed to water than others, but in eother case you want to arrest any chance of delamination.

I am sure there are many experts on this forum and hopefully they will also offer ideas, but I would try to remove any loose/damaged material and then fill it with a good quality marine epoxy like West System, http://www.westsystem.com/ss/ , maybe even use some microballs as filler material. You can look at their website to learn about the various products that are good for structural repair where gaps need to be filled.

The other problem is that these materals are expensive because you need to buy minimum quantities. If there is a good boat yard nearb maybe they can fix it for you since they would have these materials on hand.

Otherwise for a less expensive solution you could try "Ding Stick" which is a 2-part epoxy material which cost under $15usd for a small stick (around 8" long) which would be more thaan enough for that job.

With either material you can build a "form" on both side of the board with some stiff material so that you approximate the desired shape of the edge.

Do good prep, apply the material, and sand it out, ride it and keep an eye on the repair after you have stressed it a little. Hopefully it works.

Either of these repairs might not look pretty, but if getting the seller, or credit card company, to help you doesn't work than you have nothing to lose by trying to fix it.

I generally do not support using the forum to expose the name of sellers for their inadequacies unless it is clear they are taking adantage of you, giving you the run-around, being dishonest, etc...so that's a decision you need to make if all options have been exhausted. But I will say that it would be a shame that the seller is not stepping up, especially if this came from a shop.

good luck with it

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:57 am

you should be able to make a claim through the courier.

if not then it will be possible to repair but not very easily done without damaging a good portion of the graphics.

as teh above post said. if you don't have the materials it will be expensive buying small quantities.

I'd dig out the damaged part. find a suitable core to epoxy it. I'd then shape the core replacement to fit perfectly. Same goes for the abs rail. I'd then bare back the out layers of graphics and one or 2 layers of glass (ps it looks like carbon so even more expensive repair) about 8cm around the damage.

I'd then install ther core/abs rail replacement and epoxy in 2-3 layers top and bottom of glasss/carbon over the 8cm patch. I then fair it, paint it and good as new. except for teh dammaged graphics.

If you wanted the min impact on the graphics then delicately remove the damaged core wth as little dammage to the outer layers as possile made a replacement piece. Slide it in epoxy it with some micro ballons. Get some plastic that epoxy doesn't stick to and g clamp the area while cureing. A delicate localised sad. paint and clear epoxy top layer will give you minimal visual impact. But it won't be as stong as the above method.

joaomac7
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lagoa de Albufeira, Portugal
Praia da nova vaga, Lisbon, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Albufeira, Portugal

Re: Help to repair board damaged in transport

Postby joaomac7 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:46 am

Hello

Thank you very much for your help.

I am waiting for the resolution of the claim from Paypal. The transport company doesn't responsabilize for the package because we sign the deliver paper. I send the package to office were i work but the reception can only receive this packages, they cannot open to check.

So the transport company say that cannot use the insurance company because we sign...

Now i a waiting for the decision of Paypal because the seller don't want to replace the board.

The seller is MrLehman from the company www.RLBOARDS.com

For your replies i saw that is not very simple so if paypal (22/8/2011 last day for finish the claim) will not decide to replace i will find a professional store to repair.

Thank you for your help
Best Regards
João Machado
Portugal

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Joao,

This business about "signing" for a package upon delivery is always silly. Often times it is not possible to do a thorough inspection while the anxious driver waits. If your efforts at resolution with the seller or the shipper do not work out, you might also try contacting the european rep for the board manufacturer (not sure what brand it is?).

If you plead your case and it seems legitimate the Manufacturer/rep might intervene with the shop and get a new board for you. It would be "good business" for both the shop and the manufacturer to help you get a new board. "Good will" goes a long way in this sport/business.

There was a thread about a (completely different) problem with Slingshot kites a few months ago...the issue dragged on and on here on the forum...but eventually it was resolved and Slingshot came thru as we all hoped and expected they would. The point is that the shops and manufacturers owe the consumer some standard level of decency and "doing the right thing" is a win-win in the end.

You should probably hold off on trying to execute any repairs until you know how this will end. I hope you have another board you can use until then.

joaomac7
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lagoa de Albufeira, Portugal
Praia da nova vaga, Lisbon, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Albufeira, Portugal

Postby joaomac7 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 pm

robertovillate wrote:Joao,

This business about "signing" for a package upon delivery is always silly. Often times it is not possible to do a thorough inspection while the anxious driver waits. If your efforts at resolution with the seller or the shipper do not work out, you might also try contacting the european rep for the board manufacturer (not sure what brand it is?).

If you plead your case and it seems legitimate the Manufacturer/rep might intervene with the shop and get a new board for you. It would be "good business" for both the shop and the manufacturer to help you get a new board. "Good will" goes a long way in this sport/business.

There was a thread about a (completely different) problem with Slingshot kites a few months ago...the issue dragged on and on here on the forum...but eventually it was resolved and Slingshot came thru as we all hoped and expected they would. The point is that the shops and manufacturers owe the consumer some standard level of decency and "doing the right thing" is a win-win in the end.

You should probably hold off on trying to execute any repairs until you know how this will end. I hope you have another board you can use until then.

Hi,

I contact and the seller is the owner of the brand www.rlboards.com. I didn't use a shop, i contact directly the manufacter.

Yes, i will wait for the resolution for this (no, i dont have another board :( ). Then i will make a action.

Thank you very much for your help/opinion.

I will give to all people the news of this....

byee

Return to “Gear Builders”