All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: skimboard questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:44 pm 
Rare Poster

It's dark, it's cold, it's building time:-)

Well we are back to winter time, which means it's getting dark early, so no kiting on normal working days (unless out-of-office is activated :-)) As writen in another poster, I have to build some new boards, as I have broken three this season (I'm changing my lay-up for sure:-)) But I'm planing to do a skimboard, just to try something new. I plan to do some kind of egg form around 130x50cm, but does a skimboard need rocker, or is just waste of time doing that. And if rocker is needed or at least a good idea, is then only a nose rocker, or is both a nose and tail rocker. I know there no absolut 100% proof answers to this kind of question, but if you have some ideas or comments or experience then I would be glad to hear. Otherwise I just shape something based on my on-the-day-mood :-) by the way, the board is for low wind days, just to be able to get on the water

kind regards from Denmark
Lars

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: skimboard questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 pm 
Medium Poster

I've built 2. Both the same length and width (~130x50) but different outlines and rocker. The ride is very different. You should decide if you want a surf skim or a flat-water lightwind machine.

1. No tail rocker, 1" of nose rocker, more egg shape with a fatter tail. Great on the flats, lightwind performer, fast, not much grip in the turns, and terrible in chop and waves.

2. 3/4" tail rocker in the last 6", 2.5" nose rocker in the front 1/3, tapered tail. A little slower, snappier turns, lively in the small waves.

#2 is my choice, but if all you want is lightwind then round it out a bit. If I make another, I would probably go for an all-around rocker: no tail, 2" nose in the front 1/4.

[ 2 posts ]