*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 477
Location: Teahupo'o, Tahiti
Hi Guys

Been battling to find PBT/Durasurf where I am. Was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable alternative I could use. After looking around it seems UHMWPE (Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) is what these products are made from but I can't find any under 5mm which it obviously to thick.


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Posts: 26
Do you want to use it for a skin or a rail?
It is difficult to bond and shape a solid peace of UHMW-PE. Surface must be treated (chemical etching) in order to bond.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:50 pm
Posts: 429
Location: Wolfe Island Canada
http://snowboardmaterials.com/pages/wak ... erials.htm


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 477
Location: Teahupo'o, Tahiti
Bigdog wrote:
http://snowboardmaterials.com/pages/wak ... erials.htm


I've known about snowboard materials for a long time, not what I'm getting at but thanks ;)

Ok found some alternatives. UHMW PE would be first choice but I have yet to find a source in my Country that has sheets in thickness of 0.800mm - 1mm which would be ideal. Thinest I've found is 8mm not ideal.

Trolling the web I've found that PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) or TPU (Thermopastic Polyurethane) seems to be good substitute. TPU btw is used to make most of the bladders in kites. Kicker is that both products don't seem to have the same abrasion resistance as UHMW so the decks could take a bit of a hammering if you hitting sliders all the time. 2011 Cabrinha's have TPU top and bottom sheets. 2012 RRD boards are using PET.

Have not found a good source for TPU film yet. I will getting 6 meters of PET film next week to try out. Nice thing about PET and TPU is that it is clearer not opaque as is the case with UHMW.

Anyone used PET or TPU yet?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:37 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:50 pm
Posts: 429
Location: Wolfe Island Canada
You could email www.crownplastics.com/ and see if they have material wide enough. I get snowboard base from them which is standard 1.3mm thick and 13in wide. They seem to have expanded their products lately looking at the website.

Good luck.
Stan


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 477
Location: Teahupo'o, Tahiti
Bigdog wrote:
You could email www.crownplastics.com/ and see if they have material wide enough. I get snowboard base from them which is standard 1.3mm thick and 13in wide. They seem to have expanded their products lately looking at the website.

Good luck.
Stan


Thanks Stan, been in contact with Crown but they have no distributor in South Africa. Durasurf (UHME PE) is their product and pretty much the industry norm for snowboarding. Looking for something a little closer to home without all the PT of importing.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Saddleworth, UK
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150643608869554&set=a.10150155989434554.349069.292030724553&type=1&theater

I have a roll of TFB (Treated For Bonding) DuraSurf imported to UK from Crown Plastics if you are interested in a few metres. It works out at 15 GBP per linear metre plus P&P. Dimensions of roll are: 0.75 mm x 450mm x 30000 mm in Natural (Clear) colour.

They only were able to sell me 30metres which is far more than I need.
Details on my Facebook blog above.

Image


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:06 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 477
Location: Teahupo'o, Tahiti
joe90 wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150643608869554&set=a.10150155989434554.349069.292030724553&type=1&theater

I have a roll of TFB (Treated For Bonding) DuraSurf imported to UK from Crown Plastics if you are interested in a few metres. It works out at 15 GBP per linear metre plus P&P. Dimensions of roll are: 0.75 mm x 450mm x 30000 mm in Natural (Clear) colour.

They only were able to sell me 30metres which is far more than I need.
Details on my Facebook blog above.

Image


Thanks Joe, I might just take you up on the offer. Have you had any luck printing on the product?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:59 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Saddleworth, UK
JMF wrote:
joe90 wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150643608869554&set=a.10150155989434554.349069.292030724553&type=1&theater

I have a roll of TFB (Treated For Bonding) DuraSurf imported to UK from Crown Plastics if you are interested in a few metres. It works out at 15 GBP per linear metre plus P&P. Dimensions of roll are: 0.75 mm x 450mm x 30000 mm in Natural (Clear) colour.

They only were able to sell me 30metres which is far more than I need.
Details on my Facebook blog above.



Thanks Joe, I might just take you up on the offer. Have you had any luck printing on the product?


I haven't tried dye sublimation printing on it yet.
I just apply a simple cut gold foil logo into the prepreg carbon base layup.
The carbon weave doesn't show but the logo does.....
e.g.
Pic below supplied by my 2007 Sponsored Rider Sam Lawman
Base has a 0.7mm layer as grind protection.
Image


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: PBT/Durasurf alternatives?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:15 pm
Posts: 17
Location: South Africa
Hi JMF
Did you manage to find something that work for a topsheet in SA.
I got some PETG (0.7mm) and HDPE (1mm) from Maizey's in Paarden Island yesterday.
Tried out some samples last night with epoxy and paint, will see tonight.
The 0.7 -1mm seems to be to thick. It will probably work fine for flat surfaces, but I think it's going to be difficult on boards with sharp profiles at least with a vacuum bag process
All the older Boards that I have stripped uses a lot thinner plastic layers, more towards 0.25mm.

What was the thickness of the PET film that you manage to find and did you get something to stick to it?


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group