All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: adding straps to a surf board
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:46 am 
Medium Poster

i have an old but neat and very light 6'4" Matt Kechele surfboard that i want to fit with the cheapest possible combo of deck grip+straps.

I wont be doing much extreme with this board, prob use it as more of a cruising board and surf some maybe max 6' breaks.

i saw these :
http://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp? ... surfstraps

http://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail. ... untinserts

what do people recommend for under $100 ?

will post pics of board this weekend

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: adding straps to a surf board
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Don't do it. You'll snap it on your first session. I tried this years ago on a shortboard I'd had for a while. I routed out a small area of the deck, added inserts imbedded in an epoxy slurry, and laid a small glass patch over the whole thing (probably like 3" square). I launched a small jump off a boat wake (no more than 2' high or so) and it snapped like a twig when I landed on another wave, broke right between my feet. You can apply so much more force with the straps... nevermind you're already pushing your luck using a surf specific board.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:30 pm 
Medium Poster

Cabretta wrote:
Don't do it. You'll snap it on your first session. I tried this years ago on a shortboard I'd had for a while. I routed out a small area of the deck, added inserts imbedded in an epoxy slurry, and laid a small glass patch over the whole thing (probably like 3" square). I launched a small jump off a boat wake (no more than 2' high or so) and it snapped like a twig when I landed on another wave, broke right between my feet. You can apply so much more force with the straps... nevermind you're already pushing your luck using a surf specific board.

oh really ?!... damn so you'd recommend just using the deck grip and see how i like it without straps?

it's quite an old board too soo i'm worried about it's strength

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 pm 
Rare Poster

Just my opinion, its how I killed an old favorite that was in seemingly good structural condition, it was just a bit yellow.

[ 4 posts ]