Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

why build a symetrical board ( twin tip ) ??

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why build a symetrical board ( twin tip ) ??

Postby mattthieu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 am

hi

i need advices, coments, and so on !

i'm building my first board and, there is a question that stands open, template, shape and so on !

my question is, why the f..k are kiteboards build symetrical as they are not, never ( wel, exept for short moments during transitions when yours exacly downwind) never never riden symetrical.

i mean, ok, twin tip wise they have to be symetrical, but, Hell to Toe, they ere not ridden symetrical so, why are they

i'm talking about the shape, AND the flex !!!!!!

so, i did cut the foam ( but have not yet poured the rail ) in a non symetrical way, meaning my board has more round rail on the heel side then on the toe side ( looks to me then, toe side i'm not as good as heel side and, loosing speed and gettint more into the water ) so i was thinking if i get the rail ( ahd then the surface of the wet area straighter/wider i'l be more easy on toe side !

question for you

IF building non symetrical ( heel / toe ) twin tip, is it better to have rounder rail toe or heel, or straighter rail toe or heel.

solution : more inserts so i can reverse the pads and deceide what i like more !!! héhé

AND what about the flex, should i get the heel side more stiff ? as there is more pressure on it ? maybe not flex wise ( long way ) but maybe concave wise ? could ad some layers of directional fibers on heel side so that the concave does not get UP while under pressure ( rigind ) but the board still flexes ???? so on the botom side of the board !

comments ???

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: why build a symetrical board ( twin tip ) ??

Postby plummet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:51 am

Just blaze a trail of whAt you think will be good. There are asymmetric boats out there. Search mobile and shin.

That's the great thing about making your own board. You do what the he'll you want.

mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mattthieu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 pm

poured the rails today !

wow takes a LOT of resin, maybe i sould'n have used a half inch groove !!!!!

and it's not symetrical, as indicated before, rail on the toe side is more straight, should give me more grip.

YEP i checked, there are some underground boards that are a little nonsymetrical..

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu May 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Good idea to make inserts for " reversible" stance. Fwiw normally asso's have the straighter edge heel side and more rounded toe side to make it easier balancing aand carving toe side without tripping or edge catching. But you might reverse it to ride the rounded side in gnarlier water - heel side at least!
Show a picture sometime and good luck with rest of the build.

Return to “Gear Builders”