Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Construction guidelines for first directional build?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Construction guidelines for first directional build?

Postby kooshball » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:43 pm

I am planning to begin shaping some boards for the family and myself (SUP, surf and kite).

The kiteboard I want to build will be a lightwind directional for strapless riding perhaps based on the mini simmons concept if it would apply to kiteboards.

I am looking for links to a FAQ or books / design resources to determine the materials selection to make sure the board is light but durable enough for a kite board. are there any quidelines out there to help select foam type and density, fiberglass / carbon weights and number of layers, stringer selection, epoxy types, etc?

THX

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Re: Construction guidelines for first directional build?

Postby rynhardt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm

There is a huge amount of information online. Swaylocks is probably a good bet. http://www.surfersteve.com/tips.htm is also good.

ultimately you're going to have pick something and try it. Your local materials availability will to some extent dictate where you start.

There is no one, right way. Enjoy the process. :thumb:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:52 am

kooshball wrote:I am planning to begin shaping some boards for the family and myself (SUP, surf and kite).

The kiteboard I want to build will be a lightwind directional for strapless riding perhaps based on the mini simmons concept if it would apply to kiteboards.

I am looking for links to a FAQ or books / design resources to determine the materials selection to make sure the board is light but durable enough for a kite board. are there any quidelines out there to help select foam type and density, fiberglass / carbon weights and number of layers, stringer selection, epoxy types, etc?

THX
It is quite big expectation for a first DIY board to be durable enough, etc. Are you skilled with the tools? Hot wire cutting? Epoxy wetting FG/CF? Vacuuming or hand laying?

If the answer is no, start with basics, build a few and refine the process as you go. I'm using wood, can't help with a foam. But be prepared to spend heaps, one surf blank is AU$80 if remember well, and with that money I can buy Paulownia wood for 3 TT's. Bamboo veneer per sheet 2400x420(or less?) is around $50, again costly exercise. Top pads are not cheap either.

Let us know!

kooshball
Medium Poster

Postby kooshball » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:08 am

downunder wrote:
kooshball wrote:I am planning to begin shaping some boards for the family and myself (SUP, surf and kite).

THX
It is quite big expectation for a first DIY board to be durable enough, etc. Are you skilled with the tools? Hot wire cutting? Epoxy wetting FG/CF? Vacuuming or hand laying?

If the answer is no, start with basics, build a few and refine the process as you go. I'm using wood, can't help with a foam. But be prepared to spend heaps, one surf blank is AU$80 if remember well, and with that money I can buy Paulownia wood for 3 TT's. Bamboo veneer per sheet 2400x420(or less?) is around $50, again costly exercise. Top pads are not cheap either.

Let us know!
Skill and tools are not going to be problems, I just need to learn some basics on materials...for example, I assume the deck of a directional kite board is going to need to be tougher than the deck of a prone surfboard...how much tougher, what weight glass, how many layers, etc, are the types of things I will need to find out.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:11 am

Awesome :)

I recon no need for tinkering much if using wood :) Yes, a foam volume is good but durability if wood is better!

Build an Alia for LW, you won't regret.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 am

rynhardt wrote:There is a huge amount of information online. Swaylocks is probably a good bet. http://www.surfersteve.com/tips.htm is also good.
I agree. Using information from www.surfersteve.com and advice from some local shapers I have learned and built several boards, all durable and good for kiting. If I sum up all expenses and time, it may not be much cheaper than commercial boards, but I like the process and enjoy the results. And I can build exactly what I want.

kooshball
Medium Poster

Postby kooshball » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:38 pm

downunder wrote:Awesome :)

I recon no need for tinkering much if using wood :) Yes, a foam volume is good but durability if wood is better!

Build an Alia for LW, you won't regret.
i just looked up the Alaia...sick concept and looks pretty easy to build. Are there any design specifics that I should incorporate into one for dedicated kiteboarding like more concave or a bit of rocker?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:41 am

A little rocker makes it easier to ride, especially if it turns out a little stiff.
If it slides too much, you can add little twin tip fins, though the purists might disapprove.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:37 pm

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/pages/g ... -guide-a-z

read Swaylocks discussion forum. But highly focused on regular surfboards.

Basically-
If using more or less standard surfboard blank foam ( PU) then you should put 6+6+4 oz on the deck. One of the 6 oz layers can be deckpatch. Then 6+4 oz on bottom. This is pretty much minimum for board that will hold up to several years of use or more.
You can add 1 layer of 6 oz to tail in area of fin boxes to make fin boxes stronger- lots of forces on fins in kiteboards.

If you are using a lighter EPS foam- like a 1.5 to 2lb/ft3 ( difficult in thinner kiteboards= not recommended, but can b done) then you should add additional layer of 6oz all around- and should add some wood veneer or higher density foam ( 3mm thick Corecell or Divincell H80) to deck/foot area-
You also have to add high density foam around the fin boxes.
You have to seal the EPS with either light spackle or epoxy-glass balloon mix.
So if you can get a regular PU surfboard blank it is easier.

I´m building my boards so they will last a lifetime. Thats the best way to reduce waste and use resources most responsibly.
Using PU surfboard blank that is as thin as 10mm in spots.
Bottom is 7+7+4 oz- wrapped over rail to deck-( 7oz = 200g/m2)
Deckpatch is 6oz(165g/m2) under 1,5mm wood veneer, then 7+4oz wrapped over rail.
That us giving me 7+7+4+7+4 over rail. - keeps it tough in area where board gets a lot of bumps in transport.
Using Epoxy.
Board is 3200g including pad and fins.

I have also built EPS SUP boards- using builders EPS blocks - a 16ft 6" and a 10ft race board. Thats a different layup-
used 200g carbon twill then 7oz glass over- both sides
added HD 3mm foam on standing area with 7 oz under the HD foam.
HD foam inserts around fin boxes and leash plugs-
Attachments
DSC_1106.JPG
DSC_1095.JPG

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old

Postby Blackrat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:49 pm

that board = sexy !

Return to “Gear Builders”