Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what kind of corecell ? A, M, P, S, T ?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
mattthieu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none so far
Favorite Beaches: snowy fields around !!
Style: snow kite ski for now !!
Gear: some foils, and two new LEI for this summer !
Brand Affiliation: none yet !!héhé
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what kind of corecell ? A, M, P, S, T ?

Postby mattthieu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

hi

i'm going to buy soon my first plate of corecell, and, wondering witch one to get ?

i understand the point of getting the highter density possible ( as i want my board to be strong and the weight gain is anyway minimum ) but, what kind ?

on the gurit web site they have A type, M, P and S

so i understand the M type is marine type one, maybe a bit overkill

but, what about the others ??

any sugestions ?

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: what kind of corecell ? A, M, P, S, T ?

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't know if they still make them all. I think M is newer and might have replaced A. I've used A and T with no problems, since that is what I coul get cheap. I've used A450 A500 A550 and T500 I think. I think if I bought new now it would be the M stuff that is most common and it would be good. I can't remember, did they change the numbering system, or do they have something around 500?

Peter

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:31 pm

well noah's has A1200, in the right size for a board, i was thinkinh getting that !

as it is 1200, but just half an inch thick, i guess it going t o be ok !

first one try bord, then the split light wind one !

have you tried this : getting 2 pieces of thin corecell, like 6mm , and, with epoxy, gluing them together, ON the rocker table, so, that the foam core itself has rocker / camber, standalone, and then, you could put the glass on, even without vacum.

as you could press the 2 sheath of foam together with sanbags to get them in form.

i'm thinking of giving them at least twice the rocker/camber i want them to have !!!!

any comment ? this is pretty expensif for sa try of IF it does not work !

PS : i know then rails would be a PITA.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 pm

mattthieu wrote:well noah's has A1200, in the right size for a board, i was thinkinh getting that !

as it is 1200, but just half an inch thick, i guess it going t o be ok !

first one try bord, then the split light wind one !

have you tried this : getting 2 pieces of thin corecell, like 6mm , and, with epoxy, gluing them together, ON the rocker table, so, that the foam core itself has rocker / camber, standalone, and then, you could put the glass on, even without vacum.

as you could press the 2 sheath of foam together with sanbags to get them in form.

i'm thinking of giving them at least twice the rocker/camber i want them to have !!!!

any comment ? this is pretty expensif for sa try of IF it does not work !

PS : i know then rails would be a PITA.
Hey Matt, thanks for the sandbags idea. That could be really useful for a lot of things, what an easy way to make a press. I love finding short-cuts like this.

I have a twin tip that was made from really light Divinycell. It was green in color,. I think the density was a #5. It came in a 1/2"thick sheet, and was a lot cheaper than the 3/4". It's a different ride, and a lighter way to make a board, but i used it for my 1st season so I wasn't stomping any big tricks and it held up fine. I liked the fact that it is a big thicker, and the rails can be rounder, making it safer if it ever hit me. We lammed it with 3 layers of 6 oz e-glass, all laid up on O-90 orientation. Had a few extra layers under the feet as well. Sanded a lot of weight off after. Sort of ugly, I had to paint it! It is the lightest TT I have ever seen, and rides really damp.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foam-n-fibre » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 pm

A1200 will work, but it is heavier and stronger than you need.

Yes, you can combine layers of foam, but the foam will not hold its shape enough to glass without a table, if the board is the usual thickness. The foam will be quite flexible, although perhaps not with A1200, I'm not sure.

Sandbags are not a very good clamp. Even a weak vacuum pressure of 1 psi gives 144lbs over each square foot. What's the area of a board, maybe 5 or 6 square feet? To get the same light pressure from sandbags you'll need over 700 lbs of sand. That will probably break your rocker table. I've used weight a few times over the years for a few small jobs, but there is a reason that a vaccuum or air pressure are used. They work really well!

Peter

mattthieu
Medium Poster

Postby mattthieu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 am

wow i forgot my basic math lessons before thinking sandbags !

just wanted to avoid grilling the shopvac !

heading tomorox to a shop to get my epoxy and glass and see what they have in stock for core.

my first one will probably be as ugly as hell, but, should at least be usable !

Return to “Gear Builders”