Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rails, scoop ,rocker, for low wind hydrofoil board?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Rails, scoop ,rocker, for low wind hydrofoil board?

Postby revhed » Tue May 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I have built many hydrofoils and am pleased with them.
I have never made a board.
I want to make a board for low wind foiling.
I have a shape in mind but ask these questions?
Remember the goal is to get enough board speed up to get up on the foil.
Any ideas on rocker, rail shapes and scoop?
Concave, convex?
We start to get up at about 7 knots or so of wind and once up the foil takes over so the board is not that important,
BUT,
it is VERY important to have as little h20 friction when trying to get up to lift off speed.
Any and all ideas ,suggestions more than welome!!
Do you think board volume as in liters displaced plays a role?
thanx R H :thumb:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rails, scoop ,rocker, for low wind hydrofoil board?

Postby downunder » Wed May 28, 2014 6:50 am

I have no idea:)

But, for a fast surface, low friction, you might try Crown Durasurf topsheet which you glue on the bottom.

You might also try a cardboard (that is a kitchen laminate which they glue on). Cardboard comes in any surface you can imagine.

I've placed a piece of cardboard in a cup of water for two weeks and it stayed well. Distorted but strong.

Good luck.

PS
You can also have just epoxy. But polished for example with a very fine metal wool. This makes a fast surface.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed May 28, 2014 6:59 am

Alalia shape?
Narrow and fast, super fast planing.
Do not do a concave or bottom taper around the outline, however do compensate the taper by doing a bit more rocker.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rynhardt » Wed May 28, 2014 10:44 am

I know nothing about foiling, but if all you are looking for is a stable platform to get enough speed to get up on the foil, then I would consider the following:

A displacement hull like a surfboard or race board would not sink even if there's no wind, and you would need less of a power stroke to get going.
Less rocker is more efficient.
Flat profile (no convex or concave) is more efficient.

Rocker, outline, concave, flex, edge shape - all these things are probably more relevant to a normal board that spends most of its time in contact with the water.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm

The trend is wide flat and beveled rails and sometimes beveled nose, idea being the bevel helps the board pop back out when the foil dips momentarily. Obviously flat and wide helps in getting to 7-8 knots quickly so the foil pops up easily.

The other extreme is minimalist, just enough board to stand on -this must be hard to start and jibe!

In between, there are the surfboards that can mount a foil, and be useful without it as well when there's no wind at all, or too much wind for foiling. To me this sounds best.
I have the fantasy of a foil I could slap on my surfboard, ride upwind a few miles to a good wave, remove the foil, stow it somehow and ride waves conventionally back downwind. Masts are too long though...

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed May 28, 2014 5:25 pm

BWD wrote:The trend is wide flat and beveled rails and sometimes beveled nose, idea being the bevel helps the board pop back out when the foil dips momentarily. Obviously flat and wide helps in getting to 7-8 knots quickly so the foil pops up easily.

In between, there are the surfboards that can mount a foil, and be useful without it as well when there's no wind at all, or too much wind for foiling. To me this sounds best.

I have the fantasy of a foil I could slap on my surfboard, ride upwind a few miles to a good wave, remove the foil, stow it somehow and ride waves conventionally back downwind. Masts are too long though...
BWD
I like your idea check out http://www.3gcomposite.com/boutique/pro ... ubrique=41
If that does not work search ketos foil misc products
55 cm and strut demounts fuse as well as wings, maybe an idea for your upwind to waves on foil, also perfect as foils go upwind like nothing else, and downwind on your surf with foil in a back pack.
Juat an idea for you.
I agree with flat and wide, thanx!
The other nice thing with your idea is you can choose maybe only 1 front foot strap for the foil and quickly emove for your strapless surf session. :!:
R H

Return to “Gear Builders”