PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:50 am 
Medium Poster

Hey guys!!!

Carbon VS Glass fiber in kiteboards

1. why do you like carbon?
2. carbon looks better than glass?
3. weight?
4. stiffness?
5. carbon looks more technologically innovative?
6. other things?

thanks in advance for answer

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Carbon VS Glass fiber in kiteboards
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 am 
Rare Poster

I unfortunately have broken most construction forms of directional kite boards and would like to say that both Carbon as well as Glass fiber boards tend to break when pushed to far. Now the board builders will all respond by saying that their the lay-up techniques and foam cores differ and they have their own brand of boards down with the right flex and strength ratio (let alone the new shapes)
All sing the same song, but not one will guarantee against breakage.
Yes, I do land hard and ride hard, but why should I not push the airs and do landings that would easily be done on twin-tips?
Why can we not get a board that is constructed like a twin-tip , but has foam (EPS) on the top of the deck to give it volume?
Anyone out there with a design that does not break the scale and still has some flex, while still enabling the directional rider to do some hard and fast landings?
I see a company called Lib-tech claiming stronger surf board construction, but still they do not claim that they cannot be broken (within relatively normal use)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 pm 
Medium Poster

directional boards usually have foam core, this is main reason why you have broken all boards
twintip boards construction is different, core is strong for tension, construction holding top and bottom layers, because core is pretty thin even in tails layers have to be flexible, glass is pretty flex but carbon is 2.5 time less flex, for this reason you have choice, heavier and more flex board with glass or stiff and a bit lighter board with carbon, same flex carbon board will snap like chips :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm 
Rare Poster

as close to unbreakable as I have found.

http://www.doylesports.com/

not a pure kiteboard but close, just doesn't have the volume as a typical surfboard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Fly-away wrote:
I unfortunately have broken most construction forms of directional kite boards and would like to say that both Carbon as well as Glass fiber boards tend to break when pushed to far.

A foam-core will break quite easily ; even when covered with carbon. It's the core that supports
the skins . The way it works , is the Core material, holds the outer skins , rigidly
in space. If the skins are allowed to move, relative to each other, the one under
compression, (the top skin) will usually buckle , before the one under tension, (the bottom skin)
will break.

In your case --Fly-away--
I think you need a directional that has at-least 3 surfboard stringers from nose to
tail made with 1/8 or 1/4" Douglas-fir marine ply or better, with 6-oz carbon on both sides
of the ply at (+ - 45 deg) AND some 50-K carbon uni on each side of each of the stringers.
Most of the grain on the ply , goes vertically between the skins. This lay-up can be done
before the new stringers are cut-out, and glue them in after cured. Use peel-ply on your lay-up.

That will transfer the compression from the outer skins and make your board a LOT
more difficult to break !

Do you know a surfboard-shaper ? Have it shaped after you add the stringers ; and vacuum-bag
your own carbon skins on it.

Carbon is NOT worth the extra money, unless it's used Properly !!!
Carbon is actually more Brittle than fiberglass, (for the same weight) ; that's because
you need more layers of glass to get the same compression and tensile strength
as carbon, (so the carbon ends up being thinner).

Bille

[ 5 posts ]