All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Epoxy for Divinycell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What is a good epoxy to use for gluing two pieces of Divinycell? Do I need some special 2 part epoxy or just super glue?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Epoxy for Divinycell
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:21 pm 
Rare Poster

West systems or any surfboard epoxy will work best as the are waterproof.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

polyurethane glue is what I use. works great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'd suggest you use a filler like microbolloons as well. The foam can soak up a lot of resin which makes it heavy. Adding a filler can reduce weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Polyurethane / gorilla glue works well straight onto Divinycell foam. I've used it frequently. Epoxy I would mix in some micro balloons or fumed silica to make it mayonnaise consistency and prevent it just soaking into foam.
Always do a little test piece first.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 am 
Frequent Poster

I tried epoxy and micro as well as gorilla glue on identical test pieces of 1/2 inch H80 Decell and bent them.
the epoxy broke at the epoxy joint.
The gorilla glued joint broke elsewhere in the d cell.
The foaming action of the gorilla glue or polyurethane glues does a nice job of filling gaps.

If there are voids or gaps in the epoxy it will cause a stress concentration and break at that point
I'm sure if it were done well it would hold. the properties of the epoxy I think are better
That stated I only did a 1 inch wide piece, i did it carefully and the joint still underperformed so not idiot proof enough for me to want to use it.

You could do a similar test with small scrap pieces. use a similar aspect ratio to what you wanna build then bend it and make sure it breaks somewhere OTHER than where you glued it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks I'll try some tests as I ordered a good amount of Divinycell. I don't like the idea of using a 2 part epoxy just because of the cure times and getting the reaction to kick off this time of year with out an outside heat source. I'll be wrapping in carbon so it really just has to be durable during the shaping process.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:44 pm 
Frequent Poster

TomW wrote:
Polyurethane / gorilla glue works well straight onto Divinycell foam. I've used it frequently. Epoxy I would mix in some micro balloons or fumed silica to make it mayonnaise consistency and prevent it just soaking into foam.

I agree with TomW.

I have tried both methods so my 2c follows.

The epoxy one creates a tough line along the join. It was more difficult to sand along with the foam evenly and also showed the glued resin line once the board was glassed. Maybe could have used more micro for the glue mix.

The foaming polyUrethane bonded the pieces extremely well and sanded easily and showed no glued line once glassed.

Both resulted in no issues even after extended use.

Just my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

max wrote:
TomW wrote:

I agree with TomW.

I have tried both methods so my 2c follows.

The epoxy one creates a tough line along the join. It was more difficult to sand along with the foam evenly and also showed the glued resin line once the board was glassed. Maybe could have used more micro for the glue mix.

The foaming polyUrethane bonded the pieces extremely well and sanded easily and showed no glued line once glassed.

Both resulted in no issues even after extended use.

Just my experience.

Agree, H80 is pretty much sane density. But it all depends on if you are edge gluing or gluing big sheets together on face to face.

[ 9 posts ]