Hello board builders! I have built foils and modified boards to mount them but I know not that much about the fixing boards? I have a close friend who has a strapless surf that is delaminating more and more. I think the only reason it has not broke in half is due to the stringer. We checked last night the board specs and it says it has a, POLYCARBONATE SKIN POLYURETHANE CORE The skin to core separation is happening where he places his front feet, two about a 10 inch circles. As it is light and he jumps a lot, this is his favorite board so I said I would ask here for fix ideas. The board is still watertight. SO? Is there a way to INJECT a glue or other product and then clamp together to refix the delam? Or other ways? As the materials are as said above, what will stick, bond, adhere well to both surfaces hopefully without having to cut open? I would think that you would have to rough up the slick poly skin for anything to stick to it? And what will not dissolve or eat the core? Thanx for you thoughts recommendations so we can fix before full on breaking.
If this will not work does anyone know the best fix? If any more info is needed or photo please just let me know. Thanx, R H
RH. hate to be the guy with bad news , but too me it sounds like he is crushing the inside foam from jumping it. We had a couple of board do this , more in the last couple from peole doing big airs ... We had to do a heavier layup to the top to stop it.
Does if feel mushy ( soft) in those two spots? Like a bubble? You might be able to cut the skin take out the foam in those areas, put new in and then redo the spots with glass. but being polycarbonate not really sure on that one...
back in the day of jetsking we used to crush the tray from doing the big airs and flips and had to redo the glass and core in the tray of the skis
here his other option , and try to find a new weapon for the water. This one we did as light as we could and but when he started to do 10-15 strapless airs on it , just didn't hold up.
Thanx T K. We have decided to test a special 2 part epoxy like product to see if it one, sticks, two does not eat the core. If it seems to pass these tests we will inject into voids and sand bag and hope for the best? If no go, we will cut out delams and try to relam with carbon and epoxy. R H
Polycarbonate should bond pretty good. I believe it's made with biphenol which is in most epoxy hardners and so should react/breakdown to form a chemical bond of reasonable strength
1800psi should overpower the strength of the foam.
As to a delam I've tried tto pouring or using hand tools to inject epoxy and haven't found a way to get it to spread out the way you need it too.
Now that I think about it. Weighing down the delam, tight but not too tight then drilling an intake port and an outlet port and infusing a low viscosity infusion resin between the two followed by bagging the CRAP out of the finished product would be a fun thing to try.
No guarntees it would work, but if it's crap you're probably not too much further behind as you still had to cut out the delam section anyway.