Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
chrislandy
Rare Poster
Gear: Wakeboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?

Postby chrislandy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:25 pm

sijandy wrote: Sounds a lot cheaper than what i used to pay, wheres that from?
Marineware in Southampton, but they don't like posting cores as they get damaged in transit most of the time (unless you buy a whole box then it's manufacturer wrapped)

http://www.marineware.com/index.php?opt ... ut=default

Downunders resin sounds right for just 2 layers of 200gsm and a layer of carbon, assuming 135x40 board its around 50/50 fibre/resin.

My board took 1.7kg or resin on 50/50 but with a foam core and completely over engineered

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 am

Hm,

is that right?

That would be for me over AU$120 just for a core and epoxy without glass. Whow, just whow...

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:45 am

downunder wrote:
sijandy wrote:
downunder wrote: I do not use more than 350g for a finished product.
Rekon theres some misunderstanding/language barrier going on cos ^^ that just ain't possible unless your using f*** all glass.

Nope, I am using a bamboo (doesn't drink epoxy at all), which has got only 2x200g biax FG (or 180g sometimes) and a corecell top layer with carbon. Plus a PU rails.

As you see here:

http://downunderbloghr.blogspot.com.au/ ... anska.html

For the top FG and gluing a top layer, I've used only 62g epoxy. For the carbon and corecell layer I've used 52g 5:1.

For the bottom FG and a topsheet this is the 207 epoxy mixture from my diary:
21(A)+6(B), 14+4, 21+6 (remember, 207 is 3.5 by weight)....
which is 72 grams.
I never ever calculate any FG-epoxy ratios, if I need more, I mix more as seen on the above examples:) 207 is slow anyway...

Than it goes epoxy finish before varnish, which is: 7+2, 10.5+3 (next day) + a few more...

Makes it way below 350g...I can do a diary for my next one as always.

So, yeah, I'm quite happy with my epoxy usage. Enviro friendly boards:) With the SuperSap from Entropy that would be even more environmentally friendly.

D.

PS
My current board has got 200+ hours on the water, almost 2 years young :)
Fair enough, bamboo must be f***ing strong cos my paulawnia core wouldn't last 5mins
with only one layer of 200g top/bottom. Popped my latest one out the mould yest and came
in at bang on 3kg. Looks well solid. Only prob is iv'e well over done the rocker - forgot to
reset the rocker angle after a repair job i done recently so the boards come out like
a f***ing banana ha. Hoping it might loose a bit over the next day or 2, if not it should be
good behind the boat!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 am

chrislandy wrote:
sijandy wrote: Sounds a lot cheaper than what i used to pay, wheres that from?
Marineware in Southampton, but they don't like posting cores as they get damaged in transit most of the time (unless you buy a whole box then it's manufacturer wrapped)

http://www.marineware.com/index.php?opt ... ut=default

Downunders resin sounds right for just 2 layers of 200gsm and a layer of carbon, assuming 135x40 board its around 50/50 fibre/resin.

My board took 1.7kg or resin on 50/50 but with a foam core and completely over engineered
Yeh that is the same place i used to order from, i seem to remember paying about £120 for an 8x4 sheet, can't remember thickness.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 am

downunder wrote:Hm,

is that right?

That would be for me over AU$120 just for a core and epoxy without glass. Whow, just whow...
Jesus... sounds like you need a better resin supplier. Mine works out about £10 per kg.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:28 am

sijandy wrote:
downunder wrote:Hm,

is that right?

Jesus... sounds like you need a better resin supplier. Mine works out about £10 per kg.
Or a Continent:)

207 330g is ~$30, resin 1kg ~$35 and that is only 1.33kg and you say 1.5kg so over $70 for epoxy. Best price in WA.

Than a foam sheet $140 4mm. Need 2x4mm a least which is $93. All together $160. Plus a glass.

Yep, I can assure you'll never break a bamboo board if you not like 100kegs...

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

downunder wrote: Or a Continent:)
Ha, i wouldn't go that far. I'd happily spend a bit more on resin if i could live in Oz - UK sucks arse!

chrislandy
Rare Poster

Postby chrislandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am

sijandy wrote:Jesus... sounds like you need a better resin supplier. Mine works out about £10 per kg.
Epoxy? is that in bulk? If it is, where do you get it from !!???!!

D, you need to look at boat builder suppliers etc rather than "composites" suppliers, go to the wholesaler/importer direct.

Also sijandy where do you get the paulawnia from? I can't seem to find a supplier in the UK (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?)

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:14 pm

chrislandy wrote:
sijandy wrote:Jesus... sounds like you need a better resin supplier. Mine works out about £10 per kg.
Epoxy? is that in bulk? If it is, where do you get it from !!???!!

D, you need to look at boat builder suppliers etc rather than "composites" suppliers, go to the wholesaler/importer direct.

Also sijandy where do you get the paulawnia from? I can't seem to find a supplier in the UK (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?)
eastcoast fibre glass supplies, they do a big ass 30kg tub for £300. If you can front the money it works out so much cheaper than getting the small kits as and when. Shelf life last for ages so no worries there.

The paulawnia i ordered from Sweden via a site called junksupply - he's a board maker as well and has set up a kind of 'board makers' supplies site. 10 x 1500x500x10mm was around £120 if memory serves.

chrislandy
Rare Poster

Postby chrislandy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:28 pm

sijandy wrote: eastcoast fibre glass supplies, they do a big ass 30kg tub for £300. If you can front the money it works out so much cheaper than getting the small kits as and when. Shelf life last for ages so no worries there.

The paulawnia i ordered from Sweden via a site called junksupply - he's a board maker as well and has set up a kind of 'board makers' supplies site. 10 x 1500x500x10mm was around £120 if memory serves.
I've seen Junksupply but never ventured!

I just added up what my resin costs and it's £15.47/kg but thats Huntsman LY/HY 5020 and 35kg so not as bad as I thought, for some reason I though it was about £25/kg

http://mouldlife.co.uk/download/tds/Ara ... 52_TDS.pdf

It's got different properties to WS including higher Tg and (probably the best thing about it) a 2hr+ pot life so no rushing once mixed

Return to “Gear Builders”