*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Online
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:36 pm
Posts: 415
chrislandy wrote:
my current table is 3mm ply over the stringers with 3mm perspex to lay the board up on. It worked really well but I'm trying HDPE next time as it has even more self releasing properties than perspex


You know of any suppliers of HDPE in the uk? Also, what do you use for mould release?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Posts: 274
Location: Perth, Australia
Short answer: polyethylene.

Got a 60m roll for free from the packaging guys.

I do not bother with anything else any more. It's reusable, strong, recon the same as perforated release film. It is heat sensitive tho. But I do not heat post cure any more ...Or do I? Depends. :)

HDPE scratches and is very heat sensitive (from experience).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:18 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Posts: 274
Location: Perth, Australia
This Razorsaw made in Japan:

Attachment:
DSC01105 (Small).JPG
DSC01105 (Small).JPG [ 72.27 KIB | Viewed 207 times ]


...is made to cut Paulownia wood like a butter:)

The only thing is I can't manage to cut the curved lines, like a rails...

Highly recommended tho.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:27 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Iv.G.-Slovenia
I use an ordinary PVC film, also on top.
However, rocker table with all it's features has to be smoth.
PVC film has to be sold rolled up, so you do not get deformations from folding and be carefull not to wrinkle it. If you are using it just for releasing you do not have to worry about wrinkles.
You'd be surprised how good it works and it's cheap!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm
Posts: 21
sijandy wrote:
chrislandy wrote:
my current table is 3mm ply over the stringers with 3mm perspex to lay the board up on. It worked really well but I'm trying HDPE next time as it has even more self releasing properties than perspex


You know of any suppliers of HDPE in the uk? Also, what do you use for mould release?


http://www.directplastics.co.uk/hdpe-sheet


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Posts: 274
Location: Perth, Australia
zob wrote:
I use an ordinary PVC film, also on top.
However, rocker table with all it's features has to be smoth.


Hm, on top of what? :)

If heat post curing all elements should be temperature rated.

I've successfully used a hair spray as a release film on perspex for a few jobs. Try it:)

just my 2c...Do whatever floats your boat:)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 pm 
Online
Frequent Poster

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:36 pm
Posts: 415
chrislandy wrote:
sijandy wrote:
chrislandy wrote:
my current table is 3mm ply over the stringers with 3mm perspex to lay the board up on. It worked really well but I'm trying HDPE next time as it has even more self releasing properties than perspex


You know of any suppliers of HDPE in the uk? Also, what do you use for mould release?


http://www.directplastics.co.uk/hdpe-sheet


cheers mate, they're about half the price of what i found on google. Thinking 3mm sheet on top of ply like you've got, cheaper and probably easier to do the concaves than one thick 6/8mm sheet.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Undecided about Paulownia or foam? Ideas?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 308
Location: Iv.G.-Slovenia
downunder wrote:
zob wrote:
I use an ordinary PVC film, also on top.
However, rocker table with all it's features has to be smoth.


Hm, on top of what? :)



:slurp: :sorry:
You were probably thinking vacuuming, I was thinking pressing/clamping. That's a different story.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shawn13 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group