Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Strutless Kite Build

Postby reyrivera » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 am

10.5 meter strutless kite

Inspired by Gigi's previous kite builds, I have been working on a few prototypes, and posted them on my local Northern California website containing detailed work and issues that I ran into, thought I might share my build here:

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/foru ... =1&t=12235

I also have new designs based on issues that I encountered on my past builds.

I entered my latest DIY on sailrite's summer project contest. If you don't mind, please vote for me so I get a chance to score

some materials that will help expedite my future DIY builds. Thanks.

Sailrite's photo contest website. You don't need an account to vote
https://www.facebook.com/sailrite?sk=ap ... %3D2530587

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Strutless Kite Build

Postby norcom » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:27 am

VERY SWEET!!! MAD RESPECT TO YOU FOR SHARING THE DESIGNS!!!

I just recently started playing around with a sewing machine and it's definitely not easy. I'm doing some line sleeving and practicing canopy repairs. Couldn't really figure out SurfPlan off the bat for all the options but I still have a dream to make a kite!

Keep up the great work and please keep it open source. Doing a quick search, I couldn't find any kite designs sites. Maybe I should start one. with designs for kites and board building? Just plans/files not really a forum.

If you make an 18 to 20m one or two strut kite and need someone to test it in no wind (I'm in the armpit of Florida where 8mph is a good day for me) I'm your guy! :lol:

zmax
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shores
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone R1v2 or R1v3
MikesLab B3
Custom race board.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby zmax » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Very cool!! Nice to see you flying it. I did a strut less kite build myself, but haven't dialed in the bridles yet. Mine is a 10m. The one in the pic is actually 17m, but I rebuild after design change and made it a 10m. Any tips or bridle measurements you have found to work well.
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1457.JPG

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 pm

zmax:

The biggest issue that I ran into was exactly the problem njrider is dealing with his liquid force kite (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385470 ).

I solved my issue experimenting with different bridal setup. I hated long bridals, but I ended up using long bridals because its what the kite wanted. I basically did trial and error on the beach until it worked. Took me a whole day to figure out the bridal setup. I got lazy, so currently, I don't have the final bridal measurements in code, just a physical setup.

The cause of my folding issue is because the leading edge corner is too sharp, making it the weakest point of the leading edge. Kite worked fine normally until I loop it, then the edges distort. Longer, and distributed bridal force fixed the issue.

My new design will have the leading edge swept into an arc and try to lose the sharp weak point, but I will still keep the C shape format.

norcom:
Ping Gigi and get a copy of one of his older C kite prototype that he built using surfplan. Do something simple and known to work, you will learn a lot with just that single build. I built that one a long time ago and it flies. In fact, I use that small kite with my carve board in the parking lot when we have off shore winds.

Start playing with the software and post your design. I'm willing to help you make changes on your plan.

As far as big kites are concerned, I don't think I will be building one unless I go professional and start my own company. I live 10 minutes away from the river here in SF East Bay Area, so we get butter sweet 25 mph thermal winds here. Maybe get one of them Liquid Force foils to help you with low wind conditions there.
Last edited by reyrivera on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing norcom. When you build your kite, use the metric system for measuring things (its what the rest of the world uses anyway).

Sewing tolerances are tight and very easy to generate errors. I keep my stitching and cloth cutting errors to within 1/16 of an inch. 1/10 of an inch or greater will result in a crooked kite.

Return to “Gear Builders”