Project Build - Short Freerace Board

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Project Build - Short Freerace Board

Postby shawn13 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Ive decided to put together a thread on my short freerace project build.

There are many applications where a shorter board comes in handy, such as travel, flat water, lightwind, portability, etc. The board is 150x56. I designed this length so that I can put it onto any airline in North America where the oversize restrictions/additional cost start at 158cm. This also allows me more options for travel bags.

I designed the board to accommodate existing fins I have from my other freerace board. It uses tuttle fins so i installed tuttle boxes for easy swap. This will allow me to experiment with large race fins in the future as well.

I started with a blank that was given to me. It was already hot wire cut for the nose. The blank was 195x58 so I had lots of options to play with. I decided on a design and started to move forward. Here is the preliminary shaping:
20140822_183917.jpg
20140822_183953.jpg
I started the shaping using a orbital sander and 80 grit. After I smoothed out the shape up to 220 grit I glazed it with a cabosil epoxy paste.
20140913_131515.jpg
Next came the fin box and insert installation. I ordered tuttle fin boxes and inserts from Chinook Sailing as well as a vent plug. I routered out the holes and used a cabosil paste to secure the inserts. I based the strap and fin box location off my existing board because I know those locations work! To install the fin boxes I wrapped them with a 1.5" corecell foam flush with the bottom of the box. Then I routered a 1.5" cut in the board and this left me with a step that allowed me to know the box would install true. (Verified of course)
20140925_174522.jpg
20140925_160334.jpg
20140925_160922.jpg
Next, I was ready to glass. I used 2 layers of 6oz glass. I added two other patches to the areas over where the inserts were for extra support.
20140928_102843.jpg
20140927_145815.jpg
I still need to finish the sanding and prep for paint. I will glaze with microballoons to smooth the surface for final sanding, and then use an epoxy paint to finish. I will update and post photos when complete (Hopefully this week). Then we wait for wind to test!

Here is a board comparison:
20140927_084314.jpg
Updates coming shortly!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Re: Project Build - Short Freerace Board

Postby shawn13 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Well, after a 2 month build I was finally able to test my board this morning. I havent put the finishing smooth coat on it incase i had to move the straps. Also I still need to add the deckpad after the finish coat. The board worked great! A little different starting off than the sector. You need to shift your weigh back instead of forward to get the plane or the short nose rail gets pull under the chops. When I have the deckpad i think ill have better control as I wiped out a few times when my neo socks slipped and the fins coat rocketing me off. Its seems alot faster than the sector but i havent compared gps data as proof.

I think this will be the perfect light wind travel board for me!
20141025_121349.jpg
20141025_121844.jpg
20141025_121900.jpg
20141025_121909.jpg

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Re: Project Build - Short Freerace Board

Postby shawn13 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Well, i finally had the time to paint this board and received my deck pad from NSI. Shes ready for a tropical destination to play in :thumb:
BM1.jpg
BM2.jpg
BM3.jpg
BM4.jpg
BM5.jpg
BM6.jpg
BM7.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”