Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spring back

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Spring back

Postby TheJoe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 am

So any one have any tips for figuring out how much spring back you will get after breaking vacuum? Making my first board with a pine core and looking for 1.5-2" of rocker in a 145/45 cm lightwind wake style board.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Spring back

Postby BWD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 am

1/2" core 18-24oz glass 50-60% spring back.
Make your table have double the rocker you intend for the board and you'll be in the neighborhood.
If you want to be accurate you can make a test strip or panel, e.g. Full length strip of core material tapered like your board will be and with the same laminate too and bottom.
Make sure to let the epoxy harden completely, like overnight.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sijandy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 am

Unfortunately not, i imagine if you got all the tech sheets for your materials there's probably a way of figuring it out. You won't go far wrong with BWDs guide but other than that i use guess work and experience from past builds. One tip, leave the board in the table as long as poss to reduce springback even once you've switched off the vacuum. Some epoxy's take days to fully cure, iv'e had boards come out perfect too then discover a few days later it's lost another 10mm.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:21 am

TheJoe wrote:So any one have any tips for figuring out how much spring back you will get after breaking vacuum? Making my first board with a pine core and looking for 1.5-2" of rocker in a 145/45 cm lightwind wake style board.
How tick is your pine? You question is really about how much FG or/and C on top of your deck.

If using 2 pine board layers, than the answer is almost none (build a concave in as well). Glass it after...Done.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:19 pm

downunder wrote:
TheJoe wrote:So any one have any tips for figuring out how much spring back you will get after breaking vacuum? Making my first board with a pine core and looking for 1.5-2" of rocker in a 145/45 cm lightwind wake style board.
How tick is your pine? You question is really about how much FG or/and C on top of your deck.

If using 2 pine board layers, than the answer is almost none (build a concave in as well). Glass it after...Done.
Single piece of pine so I'm not laminating 2 boards together if that is what your saying. I am going to profile it down to 1/4" for the tips.

Return to “Gear Builders”