Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil board layup

Postby kostantin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Greetings,

no comments from me on the glass layup. I use full carbon for more then a decade on TT's

Two possible problems I would like to mention.

Vakuum on EPS is not easy. Should the vakuum be too strong, it will squeeze your EPS so hard that it will look like a piece of toast afterwards.
Maybe you find this file http://fischfabrik.eu/wp-content/upload ... hboard.pdf helpfull

cork
From what I know it is very good possible that the cork is oiled on both sides. It will not stick. You have to double check that the cork you will buy is oilfree.

From my experience, very limited on EPS, find the one with high density. 160gr glas will make you very unhappy, sooner or later.

tks

Kosta

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for the link konstantin, I wish my german would be better but at least I can understand some of it.
This will be my 1st attempt with EPS after a few XPS boards.

I guess EPS 150 should have at least the same density as the XPS I used so not worried about the vacuum. I will test it before anyway to prevent ruining a blank.

I just laminated a small test piece (EPS 100) with 1mm cork 'rails' to see if its any good. One thing is for sure: EPS drains resin a lot so sealing the blank could be a good idea to weight down.

The cork I have comes in rolls and as far as I know it has no oil. It bonds with the resin very well.

Whats the problem with 160g glass? I could either go with 140g or 200g 1/1 E-glass or 163g S-glass but thats a lot more expensive

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Rufusz,

I've built SUP in EPS 100. And surfboards in PU surfboard foam.
Your lamination needs to be thicker. But do some tests.
I would recommend this for kite surfboard in EPS150
Top down: Assuming all 160g glass to make purchasing easier. I buy supplies from easycomposites in UK. R&G has stuff in Germany.
3 mm high density foam ( Core cell) sheet on standing area
2x 160 under foam
Eps
3x 160 bottom

Wrap rails with top and bottom lams gives you 5 layers 160 on rails.
You want to get advanced, add some 200g x100mm Cf tape to the rails after doing bottom of board and rails. Then feather the edge and do deck W rail overlap. That creates so-called parabolic rails.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 pm

faklord wrote:You may want to re-consider your core material. A closed cell pvc foam should virtually eliminate water uptake even if you do ding the skin. Useful for both rails and also the bolt through for the foil mount.
To toughen up the rails you can just add a few layers of fiberglass tape. Either just plain tape or there a plenty of hybrid tapes sold specifically for this purpose ( Google fiberglass rail tape)...
Sounds right. I am planning to build a compact foil board, my plan is as follows:
- board made of closed cell xps foam
- top and bottom 200g carbon + 160g fiberglass; both top and bottom material wraps around rails, so rails get twice the material
- on deck area where the feet are + 200g carbon (in addition to the above)
- area around foil box (both top and bottom) + 200g carbon + 160g fiberglass (in addition to the above) (here I will have also some short stringers so that the foam does not get compressed)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Probably work, I've built surfboard in xps. There's a lot of discussion about delamination problems, out-gassing and need for a vent. But didn't have any problems for the season I used it.
I'd try to add HD foam layer to standing area/deck if you want the board to last. Put a layer of glass under the HD foam.

Lev737
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish, BC
Gear: North kite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lev737 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 am

Rufusz wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:25 pm
I managed to break my HF board due to XPS delamination and planning to make a new one with EPS core as it bonds better with epoxy.

I want the rails to be bulletproof as I tend to hit it with my harness hook before waterstarts. Should I use UD carbon fibre or kevlar tape?

The layup would be 2x160g glass (or 200g) top and bottom and a few layers of UD carbon tape under the foil for additional support (4 bolt foil mount).

Is it Ok to mix glass and carbon under the foil for more stiffness or should I stick with glass reinforcements only? The carbon is way less flexible then the glass so at extreme load the carbon could break before the glass?
Hi!

I've built my first HF board from 25 mm thk foam, 120 g FG and cheap 300 g carbon(too heavy- should be 180 g), ABS plastic and SS hardware.
Total weight after finish is 3.5 Kg.
With 180 g carbon should be 0.5-0.7 Kg lighter.
Dimensions are 1250x460x380x25 mm.

Please see the pictures attached.
Regards :jump:
Attachments
HFB_2.jpg
20170209_150110.jpg
20170125_194123.jpg
20170123_191831.jpg
HFF_1.jpg
HFB_3.jpg
HFB_1.jpg
20170110_225359.jpg
HF+fuse_aboard.jpg
HF+fuse_aboard.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 am

2 boards built now using ultra cheap closed cell extruded poly one 5 cm thick the other 4.
1,000 g carbon quadri layed up top and bottom around STRUT contact area, about 30 cm square, and 300 g carbon every where else.
So far so good.
R H

Return to “Gear Builders”