Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My next board design.

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

My next board design.

Postby fluidity » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:34 am

I've been kiting a bit over 2 years.
I designed up my current board in August 2016 and love it, I was inspired by reviews and video of the Ocean Rodeo Mako in action. High concave, semi eliptical.
So as I do a bit of 3D design and printing as a hobby (I'm fluidity on thingiverse too), I designed a couple of boards and tested them. The first one didn't have much rocker or concave. The second one I put more concave (25mm) into the board and more rocker. Since then it's been the board I play with in waves and that gets me cutting hard up wind for endless jumps.
After almost a year and a half with this board though, I feel the need for another one with a bit more rocker and a smaller foot print to use on those choppy high wind conditions where currently I have to back off on kite power and keep back foot pressure up. The idea is to have it lift over chop without so much risk of catching a front edge. I'll lose a bit of up wind ability but I have so much on my current board that it's just ridiculous.

The way I design is that I use a program I wrote to produce a cylinder and then I use some additional maths to produce distortions into the cylinder before taking a slice out of the surface that will represent the underside of the board. So in this case I pinch the middle of the cylinder to get a high concave in the middle of the board (but flatter and easier to spin the board around on the tips), I put a deviation on the centre line of the cylinder to straighten and produce neutral rocker and then I apply another formulae to this spine to give rocker that smoothly increases towards the tips in both directions. Then I make a block in the outline I want for my board and take a slice of it's intersection with the cylinder's surface end on. From this slice I take transverse cuts at about 120mm apart and save them as DXF files. I import these into inkscape set to A0 paper size and use them to produce forms to shape the under side of the board. I export these with a DXF half outline of the board into my A0 PDF and get it printed actual size at a commercial print shop.

Then I get a good sturdy length of wood plank and route channels on one surface 120mm apart from each other.I spray glue the forms to some cheap MDF or other wood and use my scroll saw to cut them out, then I glue them into the routed channels on my wood plank. Next I glue at least four at a time paulonia wood strips to each other and hot melt glue to my forms + belt tie them down to my forms and plank. After about a week of evening tinkering, the wood is all in place and I can sand the deck then epoxy cover with some basalt, print pattern polyester fabric and s-glass. Once the deck covering is cured I knock off the hot melt glue, clean and sand smooth the underside then epoxy composite coat the underside after routing out holes and fitting the handle and footstrap mount T-nuts.

So here's some snapshots of the CAD for my latest design, any thoughts on the amount of rocker for strap riding?
Attachments
f3_15mm1.2rkr_under.PNG
Underneath view
f3_15mm1.2rkr_side.PNG
Side on rocker view(Board is horizontal)
f3_15mm1.2rkr_goofyJumpCarve.PNG
Goofy jump carve spectator view
f3_15mm1.2rkr_goofyJumpCarve.PNG (22.49 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
f3_15mm1.2rkr_end.PNG
End view of ultra concave
f3_15mm1.2rkr_end.PNG (5.38 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
f3_15mm1.2rkr_aproaching.PNG
Approaching angle view of board
f3_15mm1.2rkr_aproaching.PNG (20.89 KiB) Viewed 5812 times

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My next board design.

Postby Blackrat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 am

I like the way you come up with designing the board.

Pics of the actual build when you get going !

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 am

Looks very interesting. How about some pics of your other boards?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Nice i'm about to embark on a similar build. Here's my thoughts. Consider offset binding nut inserts so you can play around with mutant options. If you offset foot position that gives you better carving, nosediving, wave riding in one direction. Set it up right and it feels very similar in reverse but your grin factor when riding waves increases. You can then also add more rocker to the nose for even better wave riding. Mutant set up works really well in cross/cross on/cross off conditions. If onshore I suggest sticking to the TT idea. But you have nothing to lose by adding nutserts.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 pm
Nice i'm about to embark on a similar build. Here's my thoughts. Consider offset binding nut inserts so you can play around with mutant options. If you offset foot position that gives you better carving, nosediving, wave riding in one direction. Set it up right and it feels very similar in reverse but your grin factor when riding waves increases. You can then also add more rocker to the nose for even better wave riding. Mutant set up works really well in cross/cross on/cross off conditions. If onshore I suggest sticking to the TT idea. But you have nothing to lose by adding nutserts.
I assume you've reached the point where foilboarding has become just another part of your quiver?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:05 am

rynhardt wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:01 pm
plummet wrote:
I assume you've reached the point where foilboarding has become just another part of your quiver?
After 1.25 years on the foil, I have come to the following conclusions.

Normal boards are shithouse upwind...

Jumping off wave lips with a flat run up on the inside on the mutant is still awesome as f*** and beats hydrofoil jumping in deeper choppier water.
Wave riding big swell is currently more fun on my mutant than foil. But concurring big wave foiling will be awesome and is a goal that should be actively pursued.
Light wind on surface boards is just pointless. Foils are much more fun.
High wind kiting joy between foil and mutant is dependant on water conditions. Is it awesome boosting/wave riding conditions then mutant, is it cruddy low swell, chop then HF.

My current mutant is an insane conditions beast it loves wind and swell. I built it for double head 30+ knots and that's where it shines. The stupider the better. When everyone packs up and goes home because its too windy or the sea is too stupid i'm still there blasting around like a goon!

But now I have the foil I need an intermediate board that works say 18-25 knots. I'll give away a little big hitting performance, and add better upwind performance.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.

Postby fluidity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 am

rynhardt wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 am
Looks very interesting. How about some pics of your other boards?
Hi rynhardt,
Here's some vid from last year on my second design before I figured out jumping, I was just at the stage of making good progress at turning on wave faces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCNosta2mU
Here are a couple of boards I made on my second design:
(Edited to include my A0 sized template from my CAD model)
Attachments
GrahamDaniel420x1450kiteboard146spacing.png
GrahamDaniel420x1450kiteboard146spacing.png
14495283_1188827794497277_5149634434046752595_n.jpg
14449825_1188899844490072_5046935361155267921_n.jpg
14448952_1180511795328877_7016478519356846088_n.jpg
14445992_1188899971156726_683239906854828972_n.jpg
14732347_1203458043034252_8350547853601718871_n.jpg
Last edited by fluidity on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 am

Yeah, now we're talking! :thumb:

Sweet looking rides, bru!

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fluidity » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 am

plummet wrote:
Good idea on the nutserts plummet. How do you rate them against T-nuts though?
I have a simple flat directional board I made with a bit of rocker but not as confident gybing it yet as I was back when I wind surfed. Certainly open to an asymetric design in the future though!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm

It doesn't need to be so assymetric that you cant ride it backwards!
My mutant is fantastic backwards. The trick is the binding location. A little bit offset, but not too much. Also if you move the rear fins forward a touch closer to the binding that gives to a tighter turning radius in the surf. It becomes closer to a surfboard feel.

I havent actually used nutserts on a board. I waterjet cut my inserts out.

20150419_065358_resized.jpg
20150419_064906_resized.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”