Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Board infusion timelapse

Postby rynhardt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi guys.

I've made a time lapse movie of my latest build and the infusion process we use.
As you'll see the prep work takes about 80% of the time, the infusion 10% and the final finishing another 10%.

I only decided to do this after I finished the core, which would have added another hour to the start of it.

The 6 minute video represents about 7 hours of actual time.

Hope you find it useful! 8)

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Board infusion timelapse

Postby jaros » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

Nice and clean! Great video!

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby kostantin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:38 am

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm
Hi guys.

I've made a time lapse movie of my latest build and the infusion process we use.
As you'll see the prep work takes about 80% of the time, the infusion 10% and the final finishing another 10%.

I only decided to do this after I finished the core, which would have added another hour to the start of it.

The 6 minute video represents about 7 hours of actual time.

Hope you find it useful! 8)

Greetings,

some small suggestions.

I would consider for the next shot to keep the level of your resin below the mold. You can put it on the ground. Hard to see in the timelapse, it looks like the end of your flow medium is also the end of the core. Better is to cut the flow medium back, two fingers wide, follow exactly the outline of the blank. That prevents the resin from overshooting, means that the "above" resin is rushing faster then the "below" resin. Should this happen you have white marks on the bottom surface.
Both actions reduce the flow speed as soon as the end of the flow medium has been reached

It is not clear what tube you use on the "sucking" side, the one pulling the vakuum. Might be MIT tube. In any case you have to take care that the tube gets contact to the fibre, in no case to the flow medium. I use toilet paper, folded one time around the tube and fixed with tape on the hole foil. On a 135 TT 5 like this are enough.

Avoid mixing the epoxy with a drill. The air in the resin is not very helpfull. I prepared my resin upfront. 2x500gr + hardner, stored in orange juice tetra bricks. Mix one half slowly by hand, start infusion. The start of the story will be very fast, but then things move slowly. In case you should get in trouble, you can either reduduce the flow speed with a plastic clam or cut it completly till you have mixed the second half.

I hope you found some usefull information

tks

Kosta

By the way, that was my last project.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm

kostantin wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:38 am

Holy cow that's a huge twin tip!

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby kostantin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm
kostantin wrote:

Holy cow that's a huge twin tip!
yo and I told my boss, 63 meters is too much to carry to the beach and with this amount of rocker, it will not ride at all. By the way, one blade of the power mill, what you see on the picture is one half of the mold making, is 22 tons.

tks

Kosta

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm

kostantin wrote:

I would consider for the next shot to keep the level of your resin below the mold. You can put it on the ground. Hard to see in the timelapse, it looks like the end of your flow medium is also the end of the core. Better is to cut the flow medium back, two fingers wide, follow exactly the outline of the blank. That prevents the resin from overshooting, means that the "above" resin is rushing faster then the "below" resin. Should this happen you have white marks on the bottom surface.
Both actions reduce the flow speed as soon as the end of the flow medium has been reached

It is not clear what tube you use on the "sucking" side, the one pulling the vakuum. Might be MIT tube. In any case you have to take care that the tube gets contact to the fibre, in no case to the flow medium. I use toilet paper, folded one time around the tube and fixed with tape on the hole foil. On a 135 TT 5 like this are enough.

Avoid mixing the epoxy with a drill. The air in the resin is not very helpfull. I prepared my resin upfront. 2x500gr + hardner, stored in orange juice tetra bricks. Mix one half slowly by hand, start infusion. The start of the story will be very fast, but then things move slowly. In case you should get in trouble, you can either reduduce the flow speed with a plastic clam or cut it completly till you have mixed the second half.

I hope you found some usefull information

tks

Kosta

Thanks dude! The advice with cutting back the flow medium is definitely something I'll try. :thumb:

The drill mixing is actually quite interesting.. yes, it introduces lots of tiny air bubbles into the resin, but that is by design. It's a modified version of the air sparging technique, and it acts as a nucleation agent for all the other tiny air bubbles to attach to. You definitely need to degas the resin after mixing, but the end result is actually super clear of bubbles.

We (me and Kerry) have tried all kinds of ways to prevent bubbles in the resin, and although the drill mixing seems counter productive, it really works well in concert with the degas step.

That picture is amazing! I imagine there is zero room for error once the resin starts flowing :o

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am

The drill mixing might be fine on low speed, but some of the readers might get the wrong perception and mix on high speed :(

And that might go in flames big time! Being there, done that. Even mixing resin only with ie pigment on high speed to get the right color and not resting it, did go in flames when adding a hardener a bit latter!

So I say careful with drill mixing :)

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am
The drill mixing might be fine on low speed, but some of the readers might get the wrong perception and mix on high speed :(

And that might go in flames big time! Being there, done that. Even mixing resin only with ie pigment on high speed to get the right color and not resting it, did go in flames when adding a hardener a bit latter!

So I say careful with drill mixing :)
Interesting! I mix at the highest speed on the electric dril, the battery powered one is too low speed.

Does your resin system start exotherming due to the mixing?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 am

Nice video, thanks rynhardt.

I've tried infusion only once but that was on a small part with quick setting polyurethane, it didn't quite finish infusing. I saw last week that a local supplier is stocking infusion resin though, so I'll consider it for my next project. I have a complex surface to reproduce so I'll have to prep it with something that epoxy doesn't stick well to before applying some mould release.
Have you had any success with fridge compressors for the vacuum, or find a big difference in the purpose built ones?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:41 pm

fluidity wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 am
Nice video, thanks rynhardt.

I've tried infusion only once but that was on a small part with quick setting polyurethane, it didn't quite finish infusing. I saw last week that a local supplier is stocking infusion resin though, so I'll consider it for my next project. I have a complex surface to reproduce so I'll have to prep it with something that epoxy doesn't stick well to before applying some mould release.
Have you had any success with fridge compressors for the vacuum, or find a big difference in the purpose built ones?
We use a fridge compressor. It's all DIY :D

Return to “Gear Builders”