Mutant Vs Short Boards (the future?)

forum for kitesurfers

kpipis
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Mutant Vs Short Boards (the future?)

Postby kpipis » Mon May 05, 2003 9:29 am

have mutants lost it?whats the future?tricks?landings?jibing?high jumping?
easy riding or hardcore jumping?

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue May 06, 2003 1:12 pm

gia kpipis.

Who knows, there is so much around can any 1 stylee be the best ? Personally I got a stubbie.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 06, 2003 1:14 pm

at the worldcup you mainly see small boards, twintips.
But I guess it also depends on conditions, maybe in a big surf you will see more mutants.

Shamikaze
Medium Poster

Postby Shamikaze » Tue May 06, 2003 4:05 pm

as Toby stated, Depends on conditions and style.

Riding a Mutant definitly is more difficult then riding a TT (now matter how small or big it is). Especially since half the time your riding toe-side and it is not always as easy when you like riding over-powered...

I've got the both of them, Mutant for light/medium winds and wave-riding and TT's for medium/High-winds.

GReetz,

Steven H.

dog
Rare Poster

mutants v.s tts

Postby dog » Thu May 08, 2003 4:31 am

mutants have a more surf like feel while ultilizing the solid fin setup but if a person can jibe this board you have a light wind board and also can be used as a high wind board in the respect of riding it backwards at times and will slow the board down due to the rocker of the front, personaly the mutant is my favourite its fast=big airs, flowing,surfy, atwin for me feels like a plank and I have had many tts flexy, concave bottoms, ect. tts are good for gusty crowded conditions its ultimately a personal choice!!!

Webwart
Rare Poster

Stubbie Performance

Postby Webwart » Thu May 08, 2003 11:45 am

@ EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY:
I'm thinking of buying a Stubbi115 but ahead I would like to hear some user experience. Does it performs well in light/ medium wind? It seems to be quite heavy with all these inserts.
Please share your experience. Thx Webwart

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Thu May 08, 2003 3:46 pm

for flat water you can't beat the feeling of checking in on a wide square board, they just hit the water and stay on the surface, though checking in at speed requires a bit more skill as does hectic transitions.

its all down to personal preference, for waves for sure that directional rocker line is better if you have the skill, but the square boards can be railed over hard and present little to the waves, especially if they are thin, depth wise.

mutants definately require more skill, everyone has a natural toeside and a wrong side, but you can work this up especially if you try to do every trick on both sides as soon as you learn it, rather than getting stuck on one side. mutants do have definate advantages especially the extra fin for loading jumps, where leaning the board over becomes less important to get the grip you need to pop so you can ride faster into a jump maybe getting better height if you have the technique.

for me i'm moving between my current homebrew square 120 x 41 and the slingshot sx 136 which has way more taper and runs much better down the line and carves with a much more natural progression and offers more grip from the six fin set up. but for the flat stuff and twating around in little wind the extra planing of the square board really helps.

horses for courses, get good on both and go large.

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Wed May 14, 2003 8:45 pm

I like mutant-style boards, have 3, but there's only 3 production lines of mutants, Naish's, the north Will James and Jonah's Gaastra. Cabrinha 2-agent doesn't exactly qualify, template and rocker are really not asymmetrical.

How do people like the Will 148 & Gaastra GFlow? The 4'8" mutant rides well but it's a little too stiff, and I could use thicker footpads.

Return to “Kitesurfing”