forum for kitesurfers

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Lei safety brainstorming

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu May 22, 2003 3:51 pm

Ok thinking about how to totally depower an lei
Maybe someone has already tried this but anyway.
What about just having one snap shackle on one back line exactly like a grab handle now? Easy to reach and probably under a lot less tension than a shackle on the C-loop. This would release the back line and the kite would fly on 3 lines if both fronts were attached to the trim, right?
However, if the 2 front lines are attached to one long U-shaped leader threaded through a pulley above the trim...
Release one back line, the front leader pulls through and the kite flags on the back line that's still attached.

You have no leash because the C-loop remains attached on a shackle and acts as a leash so you don't need a spinning leash connection and can release the C-loop if you have to dump the lot.

I can see a problem with the front leader twisting together after multiple spins so you'd need a good swivel on the pulley and maybe something to keep the fronts leader a few cms apart as it goes through the pulley.

Anyone got an idea how the kite would fly like this, turn faster maybe or a total disaster?

Maybe the kite would just go on flying and the front wouldn't pull through after releasing one brake line.

What about some sort of (foil style) cross line that released one brake line and one front line of the same tip, or even both front lines, this way you could have fixed fronts.
Still no leash and the cross line is above your head, so easy to reach even in a drag.

garyeastes
Rare Poster

Postby garyeastes » Fri May 23, 2003 10:04 pm

Ive been thinking about this a lot and 1 idea ive had is u should b able to use the kites power to release u from the kite when u r in trouble not try and fight it , i made a working model of this system to check my theory and it worked fine but i can still see a few problems and i am working on them and the other project is a highly modified quick release system on the spreader bar which will deal with any force working on it, and will fit any kite system ,which again the theory works fine and im in the process of developing a prototype.
There are to many accidents caused through the systems not operating correctly,and there is no exscuse its like buying a car with intermittent brakes enough said! :idea:

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Fri May 23, 2003 11:37 pm

Jo,
the kite might not flag like you suggest. It may just fly on the front lines.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat May 24, 2003 9:11 am

Yeah that's what I though Mike so it might be better to have a pull line that released both fronts and one back line

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat May 24, 2003 1:18 pm

Your spreader bar is strong enough and is hollow enough to contain some complicated bits of gear/leaver/handles, why not have a handle at either end which when pulled do something inside the bar which releases the chicken loop.

The handle would give good leaverage against any forces the kite puts on the chickenloop to spreader bar connection (snap shackle or hook or whatever) and it'd be all metal so it'd be strong and tangle free.

Move the safty release inside the spreader bar - thats my idea :-)

john.e.boy

pjgold123
Medium Poster

Postby pjgold123 » Mon May 26, 2003 3:24 pm

What about a pulley on each back line and run the lines to the bottom of the power adjuster, then a quick release can release both front lines with power adjuster and one back line.
2 problems I can see is that the sheeting range will be reduced and there might be a problem with a released line running through a pulley.

Cheers
Pete.

tweak
Medium Poster

Postby tweak » Mon May 26, 2003 4:48 pm

pjgold123
Damn, recently I did exactly this and it works perfectly! You get greater de-power with this setup because the back lines angle up to the depower strap and as you pull the chicken loop line the back lines slack as the front lines tension. Also since all lines are attached, everything spins and unspins together! So when you land you just spin the bar back and everything is unspun.
The kite turns slightly faster because the front lines can move back and forth like a regular pulley bar. Also the pulleys I have are large enough for a knot to pull through easily.I have a rip chord release above the bar to bring the kite down by one line that work great.
I have tried and seen many, many setups, and I really believe this is by far the perfect solution.
Since its so good I've been waiting to post pictures though. Soon.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue May 27, 2003 11:47 am

have i understood ? ypu can fully depower an LEI on the back linees ?

pjgold123
Medium Poster

Postby pjgold123 » Wed May 28, 2003 3:18 am

No the idea is that you release both front lines and the power adjuster and 1 back line, the other back line remains running through the pulley and attached to the chicken loop.
So you end up with a single back line leash.

Cheers
Pete.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Pivot 2016 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10, Shinnster

Postby Phil » Wed May 28, 2003 12:42 pm

Could anybody post a picture or drawing? As it is not easy to imagine the set-up. :idea:

Return to “Kitesurfing”