forum for kitesurfers

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

NEW "LEASHLESS" KITELEASH IDEA

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:57 pm

Short Version:
- Release mechanism ABOVE the bar (like Flexifoil's "leashless" leash)
- Release HANDLE on the trim loop (kind of like an upside-down Ocean Rodeo system).

Long Version:
- In recent kiteleash discussions the new Flexifoil "leashless" leash was mentioned. I has the release ABOVE the bar, so the VERY short little "leash" is also above the bar & completely out of the way. Somebody commented that it may be hard to grab the release handle in an emergency.
- I just realized that you could attach a release line to the mechanism, feed it down through the tube of the trim line (that goes through the bar), just like an OceanRodeo.com "punchout" system, & attach it to another release handle on the trim loop (like most modern systems).

What do you guys think?

Guam Bomb
Frequent Poster

Postby Guam Bomb » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:04 am

show us some pics!!! :D DAVE

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Re: NEW "LEASHLESS" KITELEASH IDEA

Postby Hernan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:25 pm

kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:Short Version:
- Release mechanism ABOVE the bar (like Flexifoil's "leashless" leash)
- Release HANDLE on the trim loop (kind of like an upside-down Ocean Rodeo system).

Long Version:
- In recent kiteleash discussions the new Flexifoil "leashless" leash was mentioned. I has the release ABOVE the bar, so the VERY short little "leash" is also above the bar & completely out of the way. Somebody commented that it may be hard to grab the release handle in an emergency.
- I just realized that you could attach a release line to the mechanism, feed it down through the tube of the trim line (that goes through the bar), just like an OceanRodeo.com "punchout" system, & attach it to another release handle on the trim loop (like most modern systems).

What do you guys think?
Is posibble to add a second release below the bar.
I have rigged one StormLike bar. I like it but I didn't use it. I'm not so sure about the release above the bar. I still have my QR in the usual place and a grab leash for my left hand. This way I have two systems and still fully spinnable. The grab leash is more convenient for controled situations as self landings, the storm like release is very difficult to reattach.

SurfaceTension
Rare Poster

Postby SurfaceTension » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:30 pm

how would you activate the leash mel ? i.e. release onto it, will it be a pull down of the bar or activation from above the bar ?

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:56 pm

Cabrinha already has a leashless system. Wait a few days and everybody will get to see it.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:37 am

"DAVE S.A." wrote:
show us some pics!!!
Sorry, but as the subject line implies, it's just an idea, for now. I haven't even made any drawings yet, let alone built one. Maybe somebody who understands my concept, but with better computer skills than me can upload a drawing.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:43 am

"Hernan" wrote:
I have rigged one StormLike bar. I like it but I didn't use it. I'm not so sure about the release above the bar.
I'm not sure that you get my meaning: The release mechanism stays above the bar (just like the Storm), with an activation handle there, but with an additional activation handle (in the normal spot, below the bar) which activates the same "above bar" mechanism. Now it's still a "leashless" leash, but to release you can either grab the handle down by the spreader (like normal) or the one above the bar (in case you're dragged on your belly across land).
the storm like release is very difficult to reattach.
I'd suggest replacing it with a Wichard 2673 instead.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:41 am

"SurfaceTension" wrote:
how would you activate the leash mel ? i.e. release onto it, will it be a pull down of the bar...
I haven't yet started thinking how to make this new idea "bar-activated" (push the bar away to release onto the leash), so I guess the answer to that would be "not yet".
or activation from above the bar ?
Yes, an activation handle could be retained above the bar, BUT:

That would not be the only release activation point: A second activation handle would be in the "classic" position (on the trim line below the bar). My whole idea is to have that handle simply attach to a release mechanism above the bar (via a release line going through the trim line tube, just like an OceanRodeo.com system).

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:52 am

"Dwight" wrote:
Cabrinha already has a leashless system. Wait a few days and everybody will get to see it.
Flexifoil.com already has a "leashless" leash too. My point is the release may be too hard to activate. Is the Cabrinha any different? (does it have an activation handle at or below the bar?)

WHERE will we see it (http://www.cabrinhakites.com?)

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:43 am

kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:
"Hernan" wrote:
I have rigged one StormLike bar. I like it but I didn't use it. I'm not so sure about the release above the bar.
I'm not sure that you get my meaning: The release mechanism stays above the bar (just like the Storm), with an activation handle there, but with an additional activation handle (in the normal spot, below the bar) which activates the same "above bar" mechanism. Now it's still a "leashless" leash, but to release you can either grab the handle down by the spreader (like normal) or the one above the bar (in case you're dragged on your belly across land).
the storm like release is very difficult to reattach.
I'd suggest replacing it with a Wichard 2673 instead.
Hi, Mel. How are you doing, getting better?

Yes, I get what you are saying, a second release "trigger" below the bar that activates the release mechanism above the bar, conected by a thin line. No problem to do that.
This type of system is too complex to homemade. A good commercial product is needed.
I like working with ropes and trying new ideas but it is not for everybody, you need the skill and the tools.

Replacing the pin release with a wichard has some little drawbacks. You have to mount it upsidedown and the release trigger must be pushed up to open (could be solved). The shacke is too heavy and could be a missile when released. It will sink very fast with the danger of getting stuck with something at the bottom (rocks, reefs).

Return to “Kitesurfing”