Mega-stack of Micro kites?

forum for kitesurfers

pluvious
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Mega-stack of Micro kites?

Postby pluvious » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:27 pm

I posted this on the arcuser group, but didn't get much of a response.

I'm curious, from a pure design angle, about the feasibility of a large stack of long, thin, high aspect ratio kites for use in light winds. As big kites tend to turn quite slowly, why not put a bunch of little, fast turning kites on top of each other instead?

Apart from rigging/launching/landing issues (which aren't insubstantial, but, for now, don't concern me) is there any reason why a 10 stack of long, thin chord 3 mtr kites wouldn't fly better/faster/turn quicker, than one big 30 mtr kite?

Are there inherent IN FLIGHT benefits/drawbacks to "multi wing" designs?

Henry
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mega-stack of Micro kites?

Postby Henry » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:02 pm

pluvious wrote:I posted this on the arcuser group, but didn't get much of a response.

I'm curious, from a pure design angle, about the feasibility of a large stack of long, thin, high aspect ratio kites for use in light winds. As big kites tend to turn quite slowly, why not put a bunch of little, fast turning kites on top of each other instead?

Apart from rigging/launching/landing issues (which aren't insubstantial, but, for now, don't concern me) is there any reason why a 10 stack of long, thin chord 3 mtr kites wouldn't fly better/faster/turn quicker, than one big 30 mtr kite?

Are there inherent IN FLIGHT benefits/drawbacks to "multi wing" designs?
There are more drawbecks imho...

Launch is very difficult, forget about relaunch but that's not what you're asking ;-)

Inefficient, the performance of each kite is reduced about 10 a 20%, slow turning, slow flying... it wouldn't suprice me that a singe 30m kite turns faster than a 30m stack of kites...

This is based on stacking the old speedwings, small buggydelta's 2speedwings of 0,7m^2 is slower than one 0f 1,4m^2... whe have staked them up to 13 kites of 0,7m^2, making the stack slower than the slowest ~8m^2 kite today... but it was pure fun ;-)

Have fun, Henry

Return to “Kitesurfing”