Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pro/team rider bias

forum for kitesurfers

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Pro/team rider bias

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:10 am

Overheard at a recent gathering where I was lurking nearby. Pro rider talking about how other kites appear to fly better than his sponsors brand, and wishing it was easy and not political for him to borrow and test other brands.

Made me realise that a lot of comments on forums like this are from people who have only ever flown one brand of inflato kite, or only a few brands of inflato kites. Or only arc kites, or foil kites.

So it is puzzling to find that not many questions regarding experience/qualifications are asked of the people that rave about one style or brand of kite, being da bomb kite?

I just wonder how many sponsored/team riders secretly or openly dream about being able to ride what they like?
Maybe a secret POLL is needed, brands would benefit by having riders that really like to fly their kites, rather than having hangers on that only fly the brand because of the team rider price, perceived prestige, etc.?
Maybe I'm dreaming a dream again?

Stan
Medium Poster

Postby Stan » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:41 am

A lot of guys I know refuse to fly shit kites. Why fuck around promoting a company you don't believe in? If you are a good enough rider the other companies will probably sling you some kites anyway.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:28 am

In my experience, pro's, even those riding other brands, after they have had a few sessions on the X3, prefer the X3. (But, of course, have to stick to their designated brands).

S>H

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:27 am

kookfest wrote:In my experience, pro's, even those riding other brands, after they have had a few sessions on the X3, prefer the X3. (But, of course, have to stick to their designated brands).

S>H
Thats what I was referring to. I would prefer to read reviews of kites and gear from people not paid to fly them or who are made a team rider and asked to sit at a computer somewhere and post lots of "marketing stories" because they are a "tech rep" .

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:19 pm

yeh i'd rather get the info straight from the guys in the kite shop who won't try to push you the kites that they bought on pre-order, getting an extra 15-20% discount from the distributor.

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pro/team rider bias

Postby MadMick » Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:41 pm

kitepower wrote:Overheard at a recent gathering where I was lurking nearby. Pro rider talking about how other kites appear to fly better than his sponsors brand, and wishing it was easy and not political for him to borrow and test other brands.

Made me realise that a lot of comments on forums like this are from people who have only ever flown one brand of inflato kite, or only a few brands of inflato kites. Or only arc kites, or foil kites.

So it is puzzling to find that not many questions regarding experience/qualifications are asked of the people that rave about one style or brand of kite, being da bomb kite?

I just wonder how many sponsored/team riders secretly or openly dream about being able to ride what they like?
Maybe a secret POLL is needed, brands would benefit by having riders that really like to fly their kites, rather than having hangers on that only fly the brand because of the team rider price, perceived prestige, etc.?
Maybe I'm dreaming a dream again?
Steve,you really need to give that Pipe a break!

The whole commercial World as we know it runs like this!

Sure it would be great if you could do what you say,also,if the Lion would lay down with the Lamb,Food for all,peace on Earth,Goodwill to ALL men,etc etc.

DP
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby DP » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:52 am

I agree with Steve on this one. Lots of really biased stuff on kites on all the forums. always from people with a financial stake in it. I think regular riders just don't want to waste their time reviewing stuff. It hurts the consumer because of the false info given (often stuff that's hard to quantify). More reviews from non-sponsored riders would help. I've tried to write a few things that defy the " whatever i'm currently riding is the best syndrome."

DP

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:13 am

sq225917 wrote:yeh i'd rather get the info straight from the guys in the kite shop who won't try to push you the kites that they bought on pre-order, getting an extra 15-20% discount from the distributor.
Shops that do that sq225917, will not be in business long term! I know several that do that.
What are you really saying above, I detect a hint of sarcasm?
How does a peron qualify to be a "tech rep"?
What does it mean, cos it sure sounds techo? Or tecnobabble not sure which yet?

Brad
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sunset, Dolphin, Kite Beach, Doodles, Big Bay, Derde Steen, Hakgat, Tekweni, Sodwana, Ponta Da Ouro, Witsands
Favorite Beaches: As above.
Style: Twini, Directional, Surf, Air
Gear: Cabrinha everything.

Postby Brad » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:36 am

I have to agree with the original post. i have been sponserd by various kite brands since kiting started and at some or other stage wanted to try other brands but there is always the fear of a pic getting taken on the opposition kit. One thing I was lucky at being able to do was be approched by a magazine to do there kite testing for them as a comp rider but mainly as an instructor . So there are loop holes that one can find and your never realy tied down 100%. The bonus of this is that you can the decide what is good about the kit your on and what is crap about it. Then get back to your sponsers and give them that info. Most people dont realize its a two way street when it comes to being sponserd. You gotta stay in touch with the guys and make them improve the kit or you do end up on crap. If they have two cents worth of brain they will realize that. It is harder if you are on entry levell brands that are trying to break into the market as there development experience is limited but the good thing is they listen.
Its crucial to be able to do this across the board though for a novice to pro rider as that is where the market will be.

C ya

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:07 am

many people are biased about their gear.
of course for anyone what they ride it is the best, otherwise they wouldn't ride it.
But if someone write about something being the best,they only can say it is the best for them, so it doesn't have to be the best for you!
but you always get many information if you ask about a product in here.
Then you can filter out the comments and see if it is more positive or negative and find your own judgement.

Greets
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”