KiteSurfing Near Syracuse, NY or Cleveland, Ohio

Forum for kitesurfers
Sierrawells
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

KiteSurfing Near Syracuse, NY or Cleveland, Ohio

Postby Sierrawells » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:05 pm

I have a trip coming up to visit my wife's family. Was hoping to get in some kitesurfing while the wife and kids visit with the family. Great people but a week of the hugs and kisses tour is a few days too many.

Help me break out of the insanity.... Any good kitesurfing near Cleveland or Syracuse?

Thanks
Doug

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby phlow » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:20 am

never kited near syracuse, but i assume you realize you'll be on an inland lake. boogie down to cortland / ithaca and find a finger lake with a good launch. lakes are primarily long north/south oriented, so you're probably looking for N / NW wind. biggest determinant is launch and land free coast and obstruction from trees.

i'm in cleveland area myself. best spots= mentor headlands (SW - NE coast) and fairport harbor (W - E coast). both have wide sand beaches. kiting is tolerated but respect the windsurfers and watch out for the local beachgoers who are predominantly clueless. you will be suprised at the chop on lake erie once you get out past breakwater, so be prepared.

inland, nimsila resevoir (good on S or SE wind) or springfield lake (N / NW wind only due to power lines); both near akron. also west branch resevoir is reported to be good, though no experience there yet.

http://www.ohwind.com/

p.s. don't know where your actually based, but it's nearly 5 hours from syracuse to cleveland.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:19 am

Great kiting on Lake Erie at Hamburg beach just south of Buffalo, & the beautiful Presque Isle park at Erie, PA. Also you can go north from Syracuse to Lake Ontario. Contact Bill Myers at Myerskitesurfing.com

sandyisland
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sandyisland » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:45 pm

Lake Ontario 50 min north of Syracuse is your best bet, with 17 miles of sand beaches a few undiscovered point breaks and strong SW thermals (18-28) that are a regular part of the summer weather pattern. The northern bays (Henderson, black river, chamount) and the St Lawrence River valley have the best wind. Most of the launches are not for the timid... with the water level high there is not a lot of space but that’s changing, by mid august the level should yield a good amount of shore space. 4 days of good wind last week. All SW 16.5m Fri, 12m Sat, 9m Sun., 16.m Mon. Let me know if your heading up...their is only a few of us. (As in TWO)

If a good sized low is forecasted in the Ohio Valley- East wind will accelerate down Oneida lake (10 min N of Syr.) Oneida Shores Park is the spot.

FLY SAFE!

Return to “Kitesurfing”