Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How light can you go??

forum for kitesurfers

How light can you go??

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:06 am

Was curious..on water whats the lightest winds you can go in and sort of stay upwind? I weigh 135lbs,and my biggest kite is 2002 airush lift 15.5(flat).I can go about 8-10 knots easy but lower and that kite doesnt like to fly.This is on a 172cm prankster board.What do you guys think would be a good lightwind kite for me..something thats the most stable in light winds?we get lots of light wind in the Great Lakes area.Maybe a giant foil and a surfboard? :?:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How light can you go??

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:33 am

KGN aka kitekyle wrote:Was curious..on water whats the lightest winds you can go in and sort of stay upwind? I weigh 135lbs,and my biggest kite is 2002 airush lift 15.5(flat).I can go about 8-10 knots easy but lower and that kite doesnt like to fly.This is on a 172cm prankster board.What do you guys think would be a good lightwind kite for me..something thats the most stable in light winds?we get lots of light wind in the Great Lakes area.Maybe a giant foil and a surfboard? :?:
I think you will be able to go in about 6-7 knots, with a good foil kite and a malibu surfboard or similar, upwind or just keeping status quo.

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:07 am

Last week we were so sick of light conditions that we tried the line extension trick. I can tell you it works. Add about half a line section to a whole line section to your lines. Watch out! The power stroke is long so you should do this only in water away from the beach so you have time to stop. The power is not more just on longer. It gives you time to build apparent wind on the kite and speed under the board. We had a 20m Liquid Force and were on an Airush Square One. In about 6 to 8 mph we were getting 5 or 6 foot jumps and I even did a few back loops. when the wind came up to 9 or 10 we were on a Takoon Interstate 169. The wind was checked with two meters and of course at ground level. In 4 or 5 we have a good time on the all terrain board. We are about 180lbs.

PLB

Blashy
Medium Poster

Postby Blashy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:22 am

I've just abandoned trying to kite in light winds.

Its just not fun, too much work and not actuall enjoying the surf.

If I can't get minimum of 20kph (or 10knots) forget it.

luketheloony
Medium Poster

Postby luketheloony » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:41 pm

in 12 mph im powerd on my 14 amp and on a 120cm board but i only way 9 stone (im only 16 years old)

good wind to all and keep kitin

noitibo
Rare Poster

Postby noitibo » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:58 pm

You guys should definitely try the line extensions, it really works with big kites like the Airblast 21, with this kite I can ride like hell with 5 Kts and 45 meter lines. However remember that it is not an option in crowded places in August. This experience worked fine with this kite and was a failure with smaller areas like 16 M, the kite just can't handle the huge drag from the lines and is not reactive at all.

Did not work for jumps though, but could be the slow turning of an high AR kite, like the Airblast with 45 M lines

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:05 pm

To extend the low end under 10 knots I find bigger boards a called for. The lowesat wind that I've ever kited in was with a minmal surfboard and a 6.3m C Quad. When you get down to 5 knots this is where light kites like the C Quads and foils come in handy. Boards are allways gonna be more important than kites in determining super low end as we don't currently have 100 squ metre kites at our disposal (well not ones that we can go into a kiteshop and buy off the shelf).

As for line length, concsidering that a transition from 30 - 20 m truncates your low end then 40m lines would definately improve it but if you suffer from the "5 knot breezes in the middle of packed summer beach" syndrome than it's probably not the wisest of moves to be waving a 40m long samurai sword about (great way to get kiting banned).

Best move to be honest is to use a medium sized foil or C quad and a big mal board. That way the kite will still be menouverable enough to handle any problems (plenty of them in light winds).

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:07 pm

Go back to the old school way at the beginning when you first started... when you went out in crusty conditions and tired to get going on you large floaty surfboard, same sorta thing except that you now have excellent kite control and can get going way easier 8)

luketheloony
Medium Poster

Postby luketheloony » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:10 pm

mmm the surfboard thing with no starpes sound really good for really light conditions,its just like a wakesk8 really but surf board style

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:19 pm

Well with or without straps....

At one stage I even tried my windsurfing longboard... all 20kg, 4m and over 200l of it :rollgrin: I used a 2.6m C Quad but I really forgot one important thing, you actually need enough wind for a kite to fly.... ah well that kite needed a swim anyhow.

Return to “Kitesurfing”