The problem with kite safety

forum for kitesurfers

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

The problem with kite safety

Postby MadMick » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:36 pm

The main problem with kiting is ,the danger is not obvious!

With Paragliding or hangliding,it is pretty obvious that if something goes wrong,you will drop and hit the ground.
So,most people look at it and think"That looks so cool,but I don't want to try it because of the danger involved" OR "I would like to do that,where can I LEARN and who can TEACH me,I dont want to crash into the ground from a height"

Also,I don't think that you can just "buy" flying equipment and there are regulations about who can fly and where.

So,maybe we are headed for some form of regulation and licencing.Just as in Scuba diving and Paragliding.
Maybe only licenced outlets should be allowed to sell kites.

When you are Handgliding,it is not the fall that kills you . It is the sudden stop at the bottom!!

Kites can pick you up and drop you, SUDDEN stop!
Kites can drag you at speed ,if you meet a hard object, SUDDEN stop!!

Double the danger!!!!!

If only we could get the message across.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:50 pm

Yeah good post,
The last thing we need is a spin job on safety to keep a fresh supply of rookies around. We need too sell our old kites but is it worth it to go THAT far?

I think we could avoid bans and slow down the death by facing the truth,

We have to tone it down and stop feeding our egos,

Kite off shore where we have the room to fuck around,
resist the urge to show-off (that's a tough one)

And most of all make lessons__Real lessons and stop the paddy-cake bull-shit, it just ain't right.

WE can save kiting by addressing the problem face to face, tell your buddy's to chill out a tad,,
fokiten

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: The problem with kite safety

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:08 pm

MadMick wrote:The main problem with kiting is ,the danger is not obvious!

With Paragliding or hangliding,it is pretty obvious that if something goes wrong,you will drop and hit the ground.
So,most people look at it and think"That looks so cool,but I don't want to try it because of the danger involved" OR "I would like to do that,where can I LEARN and who can TEACH me,I dont want to crash into the ground from a height"

Also,I don't think that you can just "buy" flying equipment and there are regulations about who can fly and where.

So,maybe we are headed for some form of regulation and licencing.Just as in Scuba diving and Paragliding.

When you are Handgliding,it is not the fall that kills you . It is the sudden stop at the bottom!!

Double the danger!!!!!

We will get the message across, if people like you and others are concerned enough to take the time to make sensibly named and intelligently filled posts here, and go direct to the core of the issue!
Thanks MM, have a good Christmas and a smooth windy new year!

charlie_don't_surf
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby charlie_don't_surf » Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:14 pm

The safety Model we use in industry (oil and gas...construction) is Managment Committment drives Worker Involvement

Well, how does that apply to kiting. I would say managment is analogous to a vision setter...in the case of kitesports, its the riders, the manufacturers, the kitebeach boss. The worker would be the rider, the you's and I's (for the most part). IF we see that safety is a vision and a priority, we will embody it as a daily riding principle.

Now, if manufacturers are incorporating safety systems into the equipment, is that committment? Maybe partial...do the pro's ride with all their sponsors safety gear (I am supposing they don't...however, supposition). THe disconnect is that there may be a perception that safety gear is for the Bobo's out there until they have enough experience and knowledge to shed the gear. I'm not saying that that sould be the case, but it happens.

Anyway, this is more open ended than it is conclusive...any ideas? Are we seeing committment on part of the industry?

Later,
PR

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: The problem with kite safety

Postby RickI » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:08 pm

MadMick wrote:The main problem with kiting is ,the danger is not obvious!

Double the danger!!!!!

Too true, this sport can appear to be "dangerously easy." Lack of hazard awareness, appreciation and avoidance are commonly involved in serious accidents. Hang gliding had a similar problem at one time, as did so many other activities. Once the injuries piled up high enough, participants, industry and sometimes the government brought things more into line with better safety practices, training, equipment, etc. This has been repeated so many times before, it would be nice to skip part of it this time around. It all starts with awareness then appreciating the hazard and then figuring out how to try to avoid the threat.

I came across something interesting the other day online. Guess what extremely popular sport was almost banned by presidential decree in the USA?

Football.

Theodore Roosevelt, in 1905 in response to 19 football related fatalities and 159 serious injuries in one year, almost outlawed the game. What happened instead is that major push came on to USE HELMETS, improve helmet design, safety practices and rules of play. The NCAA came into being to promote safer enjoyment of the sport.

More at:
http://www.harvardmag.com/on-line/090346.html

It would be nice to take a few tips from the past and try to skip some of the inevidable, avoidable severe accidents. After all there will be some severe accidents that can't be avoided in this extreme sport just as in the case of football, hang gliding, diving, bicycling, flying and dozens of other activities today.

Return to “Kitesurfing”