Mr.B
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Hi all, I'm a newbie

Postby Mr.B » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:56 am

Hi all,
I'm a newbie on here and a complete novice kitesurfer :baby:

I'm just trying to get familiar with the search facility & stuff, so I'm sorry if I've missed some relevant topics - feel free to point me to them.

Anyway, apart from saying Hi, I want to ask any recommendations for getting into the sport. My 'relevant' experience:

*regular snowboarder
*very rusty windsurfer (used to be ok, but I haven't been for years)
*done some wakeboarding (cable tows, not boats)
*surfed a couple of times
*flown flexifoil power kites (occasionally stacked) - currently just own a 10m (Super 10?)
*used to have long hair before I got a responsible job

I want to get started pretty soon (if I can get time off work) so I can be ripping by summer. Living in the UK, I'm guessing most of the courses won't resume for a few more months. Anybody have any suggestions for courses elsewhere in Europe, so I can start earlier? Would consider farther afield, but I'm guessing the cost might make my eyes water.

OK, I've taken up enough of your time. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom. I'll sit quietly in the corner. I'll be no trouble. :)

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:32 am

hey goodluck. as far as getting started, just have fun and remember why you're doing the sport. a lot of people freak out about safety, but just know that the sport is super dangerous and you'll most likely get hurt doing it.

The UK magazine Kiteworld recently did an article where they took a bunch of beginners with different backgrounds (windsurfing, snowboarding,, etc.) and saw which sports crossed over best for kiteboarding. What they found was that the most relevant sport as far as useful skills are concerned was wakeboarding, but even more important than that was keeping an open mind about the whole thing.

As far as equipment, in my opinion, don't buy anything now that you wouldn't have a use for later. Get a beginner board that will make a good light wind board later, etc...

hey goodluck and i hope you enjoy kiteboarding.

Brian.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:45 am

kiteboarding's no more dangerous than the sports you've allready been doin. The only dangerous part is when something goes bad with the weather or your kite is pointed in the wrong direction... otherwise the wipeouts are just the same as windsurfing, wakeboarding, surfing etc.... you'll love it.

roselle
Rare Poster

Postby roselle » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:58 am

Hi. Im a newbie too. And in a much worse position than you are. :wink:

Im a Filipina from Manila and I took up lessons in Boracay in December 2003. I haven't done any other water sport before I took up kiteboarding lessons (in fact, no other extreme sport even). I know it's very dangerous and my instructor has always been keen on reminding me regularly during the course.

I have been reading through a lot of posts here and it's very interesting for me to learn certain rules, etc. But of course since I am just a beginner, I know that practice is needed. and since it is only in Boracay that we have established kiteboarding schools and shops, I have to keep my sked open to fly over there before the winds change course.

I know I'd need a lot of inputs though on other important stuff as I go along practising the sport. And as of this time I don't have plans of buying any equipment yet since traveling to Boracay regularly would be too expensive for me. I am hoping that there will be more kiteboarding areas to be developed nearer Manila. :D

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:46 pm

hi,
there is plenty of IKO schools and instructors in britian, you can look them up here, they will give lessons any thime of the year.
http://www.ikorg.com/en/html/05_schools ... gdom.shtml

Mr.B
Rare Poster

Postby Mr.B » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Thanks Kitedude, :thumb:
I found one that runs courses all year round. They're ringing me back with dates, once they have enough people for a weekend course.

Only 250 miles away! It will give me plenty of time for my body to seize up completely on the way home. :)

Jordanis3r
Frequent Poster

Postby Jordanis3r » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:54 pm

welcome a board (get it :D)

glad you have found ure way to ksurfing - the cable tow exp will help - we still reg go to ours in the summer when its not windy :)

for british conditions get a board about 150 x 40 or wider which will hold u in good stead (used litewave or something ) any bigger is a waste

for kites ... hmm a bit harder this ... best bet is to get a naish boxer 12m

remember u need a helmet plus impact vest !!!! safety should always come 1st ...

Damien
Medium Poster

Florida

Postby Damien » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:02 pm

Come check out South Florida, warm waters, wide sandy beaches and great nightlife! Check out http://www.eastcoastkiteboarding.com for info and pics!

See you on the water!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:49 pm

I don't know how realistic this is for you in Leeds, but you might consider trying kiting on snow with skis or snowboard, if you can find suitable conditions (I think Scotland's got snow right now?).

Kiting on snow will get you going in much lighter winds (you could use your Flexifoils) & will teach you a lot of things that will make learning on the water much easier. Plus you will have fun!

Mr.B
Rare Poster

Postby Mr.B » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:22 pm

Thanks all.

Yep, Scotland has snow at the moment, and from my experience of Cairngorm I could probably get up to 35 miles per hour using just a stunt kite. :D But I'd attract way too much attention for my liking.

At least at this time of year on a British beach I can be assured of some privacy.

As for Florida, I'll try to make that my first kitesurfing adventure after I get my kitesurfing wings. I'll carry a hydration pack and see how fast I can get across the Atlantic. :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”