Well I live and work in Setubal 40 km south of Lisbon and 20 minutes on the highway distance to Lisbon. Setubal is the 4rd or 5th biggest city but hasn't a big life cost like Lisbon. Lisbon is total gridlock and polution !
Guincho is good on the summer, 30 minutes from Lisbon. Guincho is a beach and the nearest place to live is Cascais. Guincho is dangerous for Kitesurfing, because its a small beach with big rocks on the middle and sides. If for some reason you go downwind more than you should ... well bye bye kite ! And near Guincho there aren't choices, or its working or its not !
Setubal has some nice spots for Kiting just a few minutes away.
- Paradise Bay 5 Minutes (Secret but I will tell you if you come and live in Setubal) (S, SW, SE)
- The Mine 10 minutes (Also secret, above applies) (E, SE, NE, S, SW)
- Caparica , Nova Vaga (30 mintues) - Nova Vaga is the only portuguese Kitebeach ! Its beautifull in the spring/summer ! (NW, W, SW, N)
- Troia (You catch the Ferry (15min)) and you're on Troia a beautifull peninsula ! (W, SW, S, NE)
- Figueirinha (Beach on Serra da Arrabida) (E)
(Wind direction in quality order), waves on Caparica only or south along Troia and further south on Costa Vicentina.
If you go south of Setubal for "Costa Vicentina" 1hour way you get pretty good surfing spots. Like this !
Pictures on (The Mine, Paradise Bay, Troia, Figueirinha)
Pictures on Nova Vaga
Picture on Troia from Setubal
If you need any further info mail me at email@example.com