Where to kite in L.A. area?

forum for kitesurfers

Daudbhai
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Where to kite in L.A. area?

Postby Daudbhai » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:06 pm

Just wondering if anybody could give the local 411 on the kite scene in LA I'm thinking of relocating from Boston to the El Segundo area. Can anybody tell what the winds are like this time of year? How long is your season for wind? What's the temp etc.? I'm sick of this shit - snow, freezing cold, catching colds every two weeks and watching kite boarding videos over and over again to get my kiting fix - but still video's are not enough.

Thanks in advance!

Daud :o :?:

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:03 pm

I was waiting to see if any locals replied, as I only visited LA once for kiting. From my expereience I can tell you its not exactly a kiting mecca as you can only kite half the days or less even during the peak (spring, summer) season. However, apparently you can kite in the winter there, so thats pretty nice.

El Segundo would be a good spot because its right between Seal Beach and Malibu, which seemed to me the best places to kite at the time.

One thing you might consider is that kiting might get banned from most of the good spots. I believe when I was down there it had already been banned from a couple beaches, and the others usually required you to check-in with a Lifeguard for the "OK" before rigging up.

The two places I rode while I was there were Topanga and Seal Beach. Both were frustratingly too light at the time I was down there, but they were both really nice beaches with pretty warm water (it was July and I wore just a rash guard.) The winds in the summer are pretty light, so you would probably need a 16m and 20m, as well as a 12m for the stronger winter winds.

Anyway, if you have compelling reasons to move to LA other than kiting, I'd go for it. Otherwise I would consider another spot (Texas, Gorge, Hatteras) as LA is the armpit of the world in my opinion, and it'd take more than okay kiting conditions to get me to move there.

:bye:

Airgear.com
Medium Poster

Postby Airgear.com » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:29 pm

Dax is right - certainly an armpit in many ways (of course, home is what you make of it, and there's plenty of good stuff too).

Our shop is 2 minutes from El Segundo (Playa Del Rey, which I think is technically considered a part of El Segundo).

Anyway, the strongest winds are actually in the summer. Topanga and Seal are not very good summer spots. Our main kite in the summer is a 12/14 range. But, again, there are lighter days and stronger days - I've used my 10 many times this season. Dax, next time you're in the hood, call me so you won't waste your time on the wrong beaches.

The water is cold, the rocks are sharp, the beaches are small, the locals are all members of the NRA, and the girls are over-rated bitches with more attitude in their head than silicone in their tits. But you see, that's what makes it all fun - the challenge. Some say that if you can pick up chics in LA, you can pick up chics anywhere. The kiting is the same. Nothing like a mean, hollow, crisp, West Coast closeout to teach you some respect, force you to get good quick, and make you think of pretty much any other launch in the world as a piece of cake.

Would I move to LA for the kiting? No way. But for an overall great place to live - absolutely.

Bottom-line: As a kiting destination I will give LA a C+. But as a business trip destination with optional kiting it's a great option.

If you're looking for a relocation destination based on kiting, skip LA. But if you'd like to live in LA, then the kiting is not bad at all. 3 days ago I was riding violent 10-foot faces on my 14 x3 right in front of the shop and had one of the best sessions ever although I was freezing my nuts off. But days like this are rare during the winter.

Anyway, call me if you have more questions.

Boaz

Daudbhai
Medium Poster

Postby Daudbhai » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Truth is I'm trying to get away from this hell hole state of Massachusetts. I've lived here all my life and it @#$s. Not to mention you can't drive on the beach boulevard without being harassed or pulled over by a crew-cut state trooper if you look the wrong way. Almost every Summer there is a new gung-ho rookie on the beat that's just itching for action or to start some shoite. They were all the high school losers picked on by the jocks exacting revenge on anyone who seems to be having fun. Oh BTW fun is outlawed in Massachusetts.

Being on the water is my only escape. Kiting is good from about April (if you have the right dry/wet suit) through September. October, not much action November is Bonus if it stays warm and windy and by December I'm watching kite videos of summer fun.

The water gets warm here depending on where you go. Cape COd (West Dennis) is usually windy almost everyday and the water gets to about 70 by late July. 60-65 at the beach down the street from my house but I really am looking to escape the winters. Last year it rained almost every week end in May and June (usually the windiest) around boston w/out traveling 2 hours to Cape Cod.

Thanks again and sorry if I was ranting too much.

kitebored
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitebored » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:01 pm

if you plan on packing up and moving solely for kiteboarding... i'd check out a few places other than LA. Texas is supposed to get good winds year round. There's always HI, which is expensive but supposedly the best? If you want So Cal... also check out Ventura. It's much cheaper to live there than LA, and the wind is better than LA IMO, but it's definately not as exciting to live there. Ventura is where C-street is, which is in Strung Out, and im sure some other kiteboarding videos. San Fran/Bay Area is also supposed to be a cool place but i've never gone there to kite.

The winter in California is pretty hit and miss with no consistent wind. You'll get a good day and then you'll wait a few weeks for the next one. The summer is great, but i can assume it would be great in lots of places. Winter seems to be the windy season for Florida though.... so you might want to check that out. No matter where you move, if you're in CA or FL, you're going to need a wetsuit in the winter.

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:57 am

No wetsuits needed in S Florida, especially if you are moving from up north. I was out yesterday in Miami and the water is still in the mid 70's.

ccat
Frequent Poster

Postby ccat » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:32 am

San Francisco or S Florida would make it up for you !

Adam

Daudbhai
Medium Poster

Postby Daudbhai » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:43 pm

Well the wife has family in Texas and It's been on my "cities to move to list". I guess I'd be interested in mainly warmer weather year round. Not particular to CA for just kite surfing just seemed like a good place to live and thought the Kiting would be a bonus. As for the guy who posted "it's hit or miss in winter" that would about sum up our summer. We'll get a good consistant wind or few days in april then the rain turns on for may and June. We have a riddle here in Boston - What follows two rainy days in Boston? Answer: Monday morning rush hour followed by sunny skies 75 degrees with noontime SSW winds 15-20mph diminishing by 5:30.

I've been to Clearwater & Tampa Florida in October. Not much action going on there. I waited seven days before I could kite and I had to leave on the 7th day. Don't know what Tampa or Clearwater is like year round but I got the feeling that winds are not reliable....I could be wrong. Hey Florida what about Miami?

Francis
Medium Poster

Postby Francis » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:14 am

Check out this link http://www.scka.org/index.html which has information on kiteboarding in Southern California.
This is my first season and I have done majority of my kiteboarding in Long Beach. The beaches I have visited include Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, and Cabrillo Beach. The summer winds at these beaches are usually 10-20 mph about 60% of the afternoons. Most people here use 14-16M kites. The winter winds are from storms, and the winds can get very stong and gusty. I have had a couple of good days during this winter kiting on clearing winds. I have avoided the very strong and gusty winds at the front of the storm since I value my life.
The great thing for me is that I live and work within 15 minutes from these beaches. I keep my gear in my car and on the way home from work, I can stop at the beach and ride if the wind is blowing. :bye:

Airgear.com
Medium Poster

Postby Airgear.com » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:16 am

Hey DD,

Francis's description of the southern beaches is dead on. Also the winter conditions. If you go farther north, the winds are stronger in the summer.

If you can, however, go to TX. CA is much better overall, but kiting-wise, TX is in a different league.

Boaz

Return to “Kitesurfing”