Forum for kitesurfers
mcrofty
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Best place to KS in Australia ?

Postby mcrofty » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:41 pm

Question: If you could Kite Surf anywhere in Australia for 3 weeks. Where would be the best Place ? I am thinking WA, Queensland ?? What spots u rekon ?

Any Ideas would be fantastic ..... booking my Holiday soon :-)

Thanks

DangerousDave
Rare Poster

Postby DangerousDave » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:19 pm

General concensus I've read is that WA is god's own KS spot. Lots of great spots, lots of great wind. Hurry though, only a few weeks left of the big sea breezes.

R
Medium Poster

Postby R » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:59 am

Purely Kitesurfing - Geraldton, West Oz.
For kitesurfing holiday - Anywhere along the east coast south of Brisbane right around to Adelaide!

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:44 am

Noosa rocks in NE seabreezes. Clear waters, wind against tide etc. Big sand spit to launch. But not a whole lot of room on the water. And I saw a big arse shark out there once too.

Noosa is also a beautiful place - but expensive and a few too many Guys about.

If I was going with my wife - 3 weeks there would be nice. Otherwise it would be 3 weeks of exploring different places in WA.

Jeff82
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff82 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:38 pm

Is it gusty in WA?? I've just heard reports from a few people that while there's plenty of wind it's usually pretty gusty. Unless they're just trying to keep me from going over there :lol:

colly
Rare Poster

Postby colly » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:49 pm

Gusty.... not by European (Irish) standards.
OK listen up!

WA....................Dec - March strong daily SSW consistent.
Sm to med kite
Head north of Perth. eg Geraldton or Lancilen
Outside of these months watch and wait for weather fronts and head south of Perth.

QLD...................pick a season pick a spot.
Tropical north. Daily SE 20knots+ Marchish - Octoberish.
Central coast Dailyish SE 20knots+ Marchish - Octoberish
and then Dailyish NE trades octorberish to marchish.
SE QLD coast. The SEs blow in spring and autumn head to just about any beach. Watch for local regulations and talk to the locals.
Good spot to head in SE are Gold Coast, Wellington point, Brighton Beach, Caloundra(local knowledge here is a must).
In the summer months the trades blow NE head to the same spots but instead of Caloundra head to NOOSA. Make sure you talk to the locals.
Caloundra and Noosa(river) are both estuary mouths. So watch your tides. They make for good light wind sailing with a 6knot tide. The current is very strong. You will loose your board. The locals will help(talk to them). But while body dragging bare this in mind. Sharks hunt at river mouths. You are bait on the end of a line.

Ok I'm outta time but if you have more when you are over there head down the coast NSW, VIC, SA.......... places like Byron, Merrimbula etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”